2013-2014 Raptors Sync 2 -> Sync 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarlCarlson

Reaction score
I'm reviving a bit of a older threat but I think I'm about to order this, but wondering if anyone has a specific DIY video that was helpful?
I've checked 1 or 2 on youtube and the part I am hesitant about is having to pull the entire console rearward. I've seen one video that involved undoing a shift cable, and another where the seemed to skip it. Any raptor specific instructions would help a ton.
It seems like once the lower bolts are accessible and the insrument cluster shroud is out that it's identical to the base f150 removal (which are mainly what I see as DIY videos)

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me literally 30-45 mins to install mine. And I was taking my time. No moving center console or anything. Noah with the Car Stereo Company has some great videos. If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I’ll post the links in a bit.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reviving a bit of a older threat but I think I'm about to order this, but wondering if anyone has a specific DIY video that was helpful?
I've checked 1 or 2 on youtube and the part I am hesitant about is having to pull the entire console rearward. I've seen one video that involved undoing a shift cable, and another where the seemed to skip it. Any raptor specific instructions would help a ton.
It seems like once the lower bolts are accessible and the insrument cluster shroud is out that it's identical to the base f150 removal (which are mainly what I see as DIY videos)
This isn’t the exact video, but works the same as what Noah posted back in the day.

CarlCarlson

Reaction score
This isn’t the exact video, but works the same as what Noah posted back in the day.
Awesome Thanks!
All the Raptor specific ones seem to go with removing the console to remove the side trim, but it seems much easier if I can just pull them off to the side and pop them back in. thanks!
PS. Riddick is a throw back, I remember loving Pitch Black, I feel like if I watch it again it might not hold up to the nostalgia haha

Edit: Looks like the big difference between Base F-150 and Raptor, is the bolt at the bottom of the side trim pieces. Then additionally if you had an older screen, it's 2 bolts from the top holding the center plate in, but the 8" screen has the 2 bolts underneath the side trim. I ordered it all and hope the install goes easy enough.
Also realized the "Noah Video" you mentioned is this one, that's where i saw the need to remove the whole center console

Last edited:

CarlCarlson

Reaction score
Just want to thank you again,
Install went really smooth and reading through all these posts helped (I had the same issues someone else mentioned with the clips when reinstalling the airbag).
Ordered from simplymichigan and get it all installed with everything working (heated/cooled seats, front camera etc).

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I’m really interested in doing this, but I have one question that I think has only been addressed once in this thread. Does the upgrade improve the charging power of the USB ports in the glove box?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I’m really interested in doing this, but I have one question that I think has only been addressed once in this thread. Does the upgrade improve the charging power of the USB ports in the glove box?
I would like to know this also and I have wondered why the media hub in the console needs to be changed. I use the RCA ports to connect ipod classics for music, music videos, movies so I have been hesitant to move to sync 3 but that is about to change.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The low end 2016+ Fords are starting hit the junkyards. I have a alert setup with LKQ and the first few have popped up in the last month.

All 2016+ Fords have Sync 3 in them.

Sync 3 APIMs and screen combos - i.e. "radios", from the u pull it junkyards are $40 w/o nav and $65 w/nav.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know this also and I have wondered why the media hub in the console needs to be changed. I use the RCA ports to connect ipod classics for music, music videos, movies so I have been hesitant to move to sync 3 but that is about to change.
I have noticed faster charging(at least it seems that way). The media hub needs replaced, as the current hub and I assume the way it communicates does not support apple carplay and android auto.

mmorey79

Reaction score
The low end 2016+ Fords are starting hit the junkyards. I have a alert setup with LKQ and the first few have popped up in the last month.

All 2016+ Fords have Sync 3 in them.

Sync 3 APIMs and screen combos - i.e. "radios", from the u pull it junkyards are $40 w/o nav and $65 w/nav.
Not entirely true, while many switched in 2016 there are definitely sync 2 2016s (Ford Explorer is the one I know for sure) and several switched mid production that year as well. Easy way to verify for LKQ and any other yard is to punch the vin in syncmyride.com and look at the sync version offered for "update". Sync 3 versions would be 3.0.XXXXX for most 16-19s. If the owner actually did their software updates correctly, (which is rare, I've never come across one that didn't list an update version) and it doesn't show updates available you can alternatively check by looking at the asbuilt data on motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt. Sync 2 APIMs will only have 7D0-01-XX to 04-XX blocks in the APIM as built, Sync 3 depending on version has at least 07-XX series and often 09 and beyond depending on software. You can also check for navigation in the as built at 7D0-01-02 second character is a 0 on all non-nav cars I've come across, technically 0,1,8 or 9 would all be non-nav though.