2013-2014 Raptors Sync 2 -> Sync 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostinChick

Reaction score

BoostinChick

Reaction score
Digging around some more related to APIM configurations I ran across a tool called AsBuiltHacker. It lets you compare multiple AS builds which really helped me quickly shed light on an issue I was trying to hunt down. I was able to compare 4 APIM configurations from a 2017 Raptor and get my settings nailed down.

I know past Block 4 it's really just additional metadata, but wanted it to be more accurate. I also matched the Bluetooth audio profile and enabled ambient lighting. I noticed the park assist setting was enabled. I'm sure it doesn't do anything since we don't have that hardware but made sure to set it correctly anyway.

jgwoody

Reaction score
Has anyone who upgraded to Sync 3 had an intermittent issue where the radio is off when you start the truck sometimes, even though the radio was on last time you turned the truck off?

I wonder if this is a bug in the Sync 3 3.0 version I'm running....

Mine does this too, but it only seems to do it after using apple carplay via the lightning cable.

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too, but it only seems to do it after using apple carplay via the lightning cable.

Hmm. In my case I haven't used carplay or android play. My phone is connected via bluetooth however (I have a Google Pixel 3). But I have yet to nail down any environmental variables that are different when it starts normally or if it starts with the radio off.

BoostinChick

Reaction score
For those with front camera, I can confirm it works on versions 3.0 and 2.3 as well. The only issue is it uses the rear camera delay, which only works up to 5mph unlike the original front camera setup which worked up to 15 MPH. Still better than nothing.

To turn on camera delay:
Sync settings > vehicle settings > camera settings > turn on “rear camera delay”. Now when in 4-low or off-road + locked diff, it works after going into reverse then drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wanted to thank @jgwoody for this and also confirm my front camera works on my 2014 following this procedure. I am updated to SYNC version 3. The upgrade from 1.1 was soooo slow, but no regrets yet with SYNC 3 and still loving it!

RDR2019

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also just finished the install, but I went with a system from 4DTech due to limited time to spend piecing together and programming one myself. I'm in love! The new system is SOOO much nicer than the MFT system I had in there before!!! I definitely recommend this upgrade.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking hard about making this swap on my '13 - wanted to check what I am reading in this long thread:
1. seems the front camera may (or may not) work without adding NavTV or similar?
2. I saw some early posts and linked posts saying that the climate screen doesn't show set temperatures, or doesn't work as expected in some ways. But lots of posts saying "everything works fine" . Are folks still seeing the climate control issues, or has this bug been worked out?

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. I saw some early posts and linked posts saying that the climate screen doesn't show set temperatures, or doesn't work as expected in some ways. But lots of posts saying "everything works fine" . Are folks still seeing the climate control issues, or has this bug been worked out?

I can't comment on the camera stuff, but this temperature thing isn't a big deal. Now that I have a 2019 explorer with Sync 3 stock, I know what others were talking about.

In a stock Sync 3 vehicle, like the 2019 Explorer, when you turn the temperature knob you will see the temperature in the top left or right corners (drivers and passenger sides respectively) increment or decrement depending on which way your turning the knob. In addition, there is an overlay in the middle of the screen, almost identical to the volume overlay when you turn the volume knob up and down, except that its blue instead of red that shows the temperature values you're adjusting.

In my retrofit Sync 3 vehicle, when I turn the temperature knobs, the values in the top left or right of the screen adjust fine, I just dont get the big overlay pop up in the middle of the screen.

And if I hadn't seen it in a 2019 vehicle, I would never have known I was missing anything.

Hope that helps.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the camera stuff, but this temperature thing isn't a big deal. Now that I have a 2019 explorer with Sync 3 stock, I know what others were talking about.

In a stock Sync 3 vehicle, like the 2019 Explorer, when you turn the temperature knob you will see the temperature in the top left or right corners (drivers and passenger sides respectively) increment or decrement depending on which way your turning the knob. In addition, there is an overlay in the middle of the screen, almost identical to the volume overlay when you turn the volume knob up and down, except that its blue instead of red that shows the temperature values you're adjusting.

In my retrofit Sync 3 vehicle, when I turn the temperature knobs, the values in the top left or right of the screen adjust fine, I just dont get the big overlay pop up in the middle of the screen.

And if I hadn't seen it in a 2019 vehicle, I would never have known I was missing anything.

Hope that helps.

Fully agree with this. My parents just bought an Escape and just the other day I was doing some comparison. Saw the temperature thing for the first time. Didn’t bother me one bit mine didn’t have it. Her

The only thing I can say about the camera is what jgwoody posted. As far as NavTv, I thought someone said it does work with the sync 3 version. Didn’t look back through this thread or might have saw it in another. If I find it, I’ll post.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking hard about making this swap on my '13 - wanted to check what I am reading in this long thread:
1. seems the front camera may (or may not) work without adding NavTV or similar?

Can’t find the thread, but this is the guy to talk to and the unit he used. I believe he had this extra one to sell.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/fs-navtv-vim13-fcam-module-bnib.66636/