2012 Transmission Downshifting Issues (roush level 2, high mileage)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TarheelBrad

Reaction score
Hi, I took some time to read through the threads about transmission problems that others are having, specifically about the recall issued over trucks randomly downshifting into first gear. I am not having this sort of issue...

After I got my truck back from my mechanic *trusted friend* who had been fixing some aftermarket wiring issues with the headlights from a previous owner the truck started to experience some alarming issues when it tried to downshift.

The truck is a 2012 Roush level 2 truck with 112k miles.

I first noticed that when pulling away from a light turning left across a divided highway the truck did it's normal thing upshifting fairly quickly into 3rd gear. As I gave it a little more throttle to coax it back into 2nd it shuttered violently and then wasn't in any gear and i lost the throttle. The gear indicated flashed from 6 to 1 to 2. I let off the gas and it went back into 6th gear. This happened again the next day downshifting from 4th to 3rd on an onramp. Similar situation in i was accelerating the entire time but added throttle input and when it tried to downshift it would cut power and seemingly fall out of gear after a hard shutter.
Worried these incredibly hard shifts under load were going to destroy the trans i drove it for the next day in manual mode. Which operates as normal. It is also worth noting that the truck behaves completely normal under upshifting conditions
My mechanic friend and I went for a ride in it, I asked for downshifts from 4 to 2, 6 to 2, 5 to 3 etc etc over and over and it performed flawlessly. *OF COURSE!!*
Since then it has intermittently shifted so hard from 4 to 3 that on one occasion it broke traction. I've been driving cautiously and or in manual mode since then.
I am completely stumped.

I came across a video on youtube suggesting that I get the adaptive programming reset and go through the relearning process as a next step. Wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems in their trucks?

Thanks in advance.

IIIBusta

Reaction score
My truck is at the dealer now with the exact same symptoms. I will definitely provide an update.

The very hard slams are unsettling. On one occasion is slammed twice and it felt like I was about to stall.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the issue that a recall went out for...violent downshifting. Recommend you get the recall done asap. I think there might be two recalls on the tranny...check and be sure!