2012 supercrew with 165k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan12

Reaction score
I'm new here, I'm looking to purchase a first gen with 165k miles. Seems to be very well kept and awaiting car fax. I'm wondering how long I could keep err going without having major issues if any at all. I'd like to hear about anyone who has pushed they're first gen over the 200k mark and the struggles to be had if any with that. Thanks for the help

PNW Raptor

Reaction score
Do you have the service history on the truck? I’d be more concerned with that than the carfax. When I bought my 2011 last year the selling dealer had no records but I was able to call the dealer the truck was sold new at, gave them the VIN and they were able to tell me what had been done on the truck. For me that gave me much more insight into the truck’s history.

Good luck, I don’t think 165k is too high if it’s been taken good care of.

OP
OP
L

Logan12

Reaction score
Do you have the service history on the truck? I’d be more concerned with that than the carfax. When I bought my 2011 last year the selling dealer had no records but I was able to call the dealer the truck was sold new at, gave them the VIN and they were able to tell me what had been done on the truck. For me that gave me much more insight into the truck’s history.

Good luck, I don’t think 165k is too high if it’s been taken good care of.

The Truck is a 2012 and the service log gets kinda of skeptical at the last two owners. Both of the service logs for them are showing a couple thousand miles in between each service.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is a '12 SCREW...Great Truck!!

I'd take it to another shop and have an inspection done. Beyond that, get on a creeper and roll around under there looking at the undercarriage...is it torn up from contact with dirt and rocks? Is there any dents around the back of the cab/front of the bed? Around the edges of the bumpers?

Look at the shocks, are they the 2.5" ones or 3" ones? If they are the 3" you need to confirm that they are NOT the Gen2 shocks swapped onto that truck. It's a popular swap these days, and it's not a good idea at all. Search the threads on the forum here for info as to why...If the shocks are original, you are in for a rebuild (minimum) or a replacement, no getting around it. These shocks only go about 50K miles before service (rebuild) is mandatory. Again, search the forum for info, it's too detailed to explain in a quick response...

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

It's on you do gain the knowledge of what to do with the truck. Most all service people and dealer mechanics and service writers are ignorant of the truck and what things are what.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been said here plenty of times an I'm full proof also as i own a 2011 with the 6.2 L the Engine and drive is bullet proof. Just change fluids and plugs an it just keeps going and going. The Suspension need to be maintained also. Look for leeks. I had mine rebuilt from Forged Off road and I highly recommend them. The fluids and Nitrogen charge should be serviced every 50 thousand miles if its Mostly highway mileage. Have to more often if you do alot of Off Road. The suspension is just like a ATV. Its rebuildable and must be maintained. I have 145,000 miles on mine and never had any issues except 1 coil pack had to get replaced. JUST AN AWESOME TRUCK. Enjoy It