GEN 1 2012 stock Sony Amp - does it need to be programmed if replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Title says it all. Apparently my amp cooked. My audio system is bone stock, and I'm fine with keeping it that way. If I find a used amp, do I need to do any programming or will it just work? I'm guessing the amp lives under the rear passenger seat in that black plastic box with that sub? Any one have an old one they wanna hook me up with? I do have the upgraded Sony system - I forget what it's officially called on the built sheet. Thank you!

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp is under your center console. Just curious, if the amp is blown, do other things not work as well? I'm just curious if the amp controls anything besides the stereo.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The amp is under your center console. Just curious, if the amp is blown, do other things not work as well? I'm just curious if the amp controls anything besides the stereo.
Well, there were a bunch of other things that got fried - the amp being one of those. However in terms of stereo, everything works, there is just no sound. No music, no beeps, nothing, but everything else works - Nav, Sync, etc.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats good. You might want to look at an aftermarket amp to get your stereo back up and running. might be cheaper than trying to find an OEM amp and you'd likely get better sound quality. PAC Audio makes some harnesses to integrate your stock head unit to an aftermarket amp. @The Car Stereo Company could probably help you out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well thats good. You might want to look at an aftermarket amp to get your stereo back up and running. might be cheaper than trying to find an OEM amp and you'd likely get better sound quality. PAC Audio makes some harnesses to integrate your stock head unit to an aftermarket amp. @thecarstereocompany could probably help you out
I priced out an aftermarket one earlier today and it was pretty expensive. Honestly, I'm fine getting back to status quo - I found a used amp for $110 shipped. Thinking that's the direction I will go. The rest of the electrical disaster is bleeding me dry, I just want the sound to work again and to focus on other things. What I don't know if whether or not I need to have the stupid thing programmed - which will cost more than the amp itself.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. i would have thought the OEM amps would be more. Probably the way to go then
New they're like $750 - at least through the shop where we're fixing other stupid stuff. Since we're fixing other stupid stuff, they can throw the amp in for me basically for free (unless programming is required), and they are fine throwing in a used amp. Specifically we're replacing the airbag control module, next to the amp. Long story, electrical heart attack, lots of melted wires with very little explanation, last items are the amp and the airbag control module. It has been an ongoing nightmare since May. I've barely seen my truck since then.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Per the Ford Workshop Manual the Audio DSP Module (amp) requires Programmable Module Installation when replaced.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Per the Ford Workshop Manual the Audio DSP Module (amp) requires Programmable Module Installation when replaced.
Do you know what that entails? Is it Forscan? Some other magical programming? Is it just going to do nothing before that is done (after it's installed)? Thank you for the information.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats good. You might want to look at an aftermarket amp to get your stereo back up and running. might be cheaper than trying to find an OEM amp and you'd likely get better sound quality. PAC Audio makes some harnesses to integrate your stock head unit to an aftermarket amp. @The Car Stereo Company could probably help you out
yeah, we have been texting back and forth about it. a simple oem replacelemt is all he needs for now. looks like @FordTechOne answered the question of programming. i dont think i have ever replaced an oem amp with another oem amp. looking into it, it seems its a dealer programming requirement. unless the shop has the ford specific scantool