GEN 1 2012 Raptor won't do a brakestand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomOsiris

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forums.

I just picked up a 2012 Raptor a few weeks ago, super-crew fully loaded.
When I took the vehicle for a test drive, I gave it a decent beating as I normally would to make sure everything was solid.
This included doing a small brakestand, which it originally did with no issue, and was one of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger on the truck.
Now, I'm not someone who regularly smokes off the tire on their truck, but once in a while I like to show off.
However, since leaving the dealership, the truck will not burnout/brakestand/powerbrake whatsoever!
It seems as if there is a limiter at 1500 rpm when the brake is held and will not allow the engine to spin the tires.
Now, I have heard of this issue with other raptors, but what confuses is me is that it did it the first time with absolutely no issues..
I have tried with every possible combination of traction control on, sport mode, fully off, off-road mode, etc.
It will not let the engine rev above 1500 rpm with the brakes held!
I have tried varying amounts of brake/throttle pressure with no luck whatsoever.
Since doing some research, I have found that there are tunes that can supposedly eliminate this issue, apparently it is a safety feature in the transmission and the rev limiter can be raised/adjusted to allow the tires to spin.
What confuses me the most however, is that it burned out no problem the first time!
Is it possible that the dealer loaded or reloaded a different tune after I test drove it?
They did take it into the shop to do the fuel pump fuse 27 relocation.
Please do not ask me something silly like "why would you want to burn out? Tires are expensive".
I am just looking for help in diagnosing and correcting the issue, I want my truck to behave how I want it to and spin the tires if I hit the gas.
Anyone who dealt with similar issues to this please feel free to chime in what I may be dealing with here, as I am stumped as to why it burned out originally and now will not spin the tires at all.
Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
TomOsiris

TomOsiris

Reaction score
Why would you want to burn out? Tires are expensive! LOL
Welcome to the place. Make sure you hold the traction control button down for at least the full 10 seconds.
Thanks, and yes I have made sure to hold it down for 10 seconds (even though it disables after 5).

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your traction control is on, turn it off and let her rip. Again , hold the traction traction control off until it flashes on your gauge cluster. Be warned, this truck hates brake stands. The rear end loads up and pops giving the feeling of the driveshaft U joints priming to fire through your floor. Do it the right way, go offroad and blast away.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s called torque management even with traction control in any setting it will not let you do a burn out. Sometimes you might be able to do one if your on a slippery surface. A tune will change that for sure.

OP
OP
TomOsiris

TomOsiris

Reaction score
Sounds like your traction control is on, turn it off and let her rip. Again , hold the traction traction control off until it flashes on your gauge cluster. Be warned, this truck hates brake stands. The rear end loads up and pops giving the feeling of the driveshaft U joints priming to fire through your floor. Do it the right way, go offroad and blast away.
It certainly seems like its on! But I can guarantee you I have tried every possible combination, and can confirm its off via the display in the dash "ADVANCETRAC DISABLED"
It’s called torque management even with traction control in any setting it will not let you do a burn out. Sometimes you might be able to do one if your on a slippery surface. A tune will change that for sure.
This sounds much more like my issue. Have you had your truck tuned, and if so would you recommend 5 star or JDM tuning?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Release the parking brake? Take it out of 4wd? :)

Don't worry, the 100k TRX won't do a smokey burnout either. Apparently, some people don't care. I care though.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 5 star tune on my gen 1 and it would definitely burn them but would have bad axle hop.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re most likely encountering brake-over-accelerator (BOA) intervention. After Toyota’s unintended acceleration coverup and subsequent lawsuits and government fines, all manufacturers tightened down on BOA strategies.

When the PCM sees that the brake and accelerator are being pressed simultaneously, it limits engine RPM and power output. It will also record the event in a PID counter. The first time you did it the PCM counter was probably at zero; subsequent attempts may have caused it to enter a de-rate mode.

OP
OP
TomOsiris

TomOsiris

Reaction score
You’re most likely encountering brake-over-accelerator (BOA) intervention. After Toyota’s unintended acceleration coverup and subsequent lawsuits and government fines, all manufacturers tightened down on BOA strategies.

When the PCM sees that the brake and accelerator are being pressed simultaneously, it limits engine RPM and power output. It will also record the event in a PID counter. The first time you did it the PCM counter was probably at zero; subsequent attempts may have caused it to enter a de-rate mode.
Thank you for your response, I have heard of the brake override or BOA before, but it seems to be a real hit or miss on which years of these trucks seem to allow it.
What you mentioned seems to make the most sense so far as to what would be the cause of my issue, because as of it right now it will not even chirp the tires with the brakes held, and the rev limiter is dead on 1500.

Are you familiar with what specific management system would need to be tuned out to eliminate this feature?