2012 Raptor - Recommended Performance Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@MTF When I grow up and my '12 SCREW is off warranty, I am convinced I may clone your build. Your posts have quelled my fears about supercharging since you've been running your Whipple setup for so long. Like someone else said I would like to upgrade the gears, but most of you SC folks say it's completely unnecessary after you turn the power up.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It kind of depends if you can get away with not doing the pump gears.
If you stay with the 600 or 650 HP kit and your not beating on it you can get away with it. For how long, don't really know.
The Roush 590 kits had the most failures and that's because of their Tune and super harsh shifting.
Oil pump gears fail on Super Duties Vans and trucks where they get a beatting from workers who don't give a shit.

But if your going to go all out and want to do the 750 kit I'm sure you'll be told that gears are recommended.

Have you seen the drop video of the oil pump gears yet?
I'll post it up again when I get to my PC.
These are the same gears in the Raptor

Around 9:15 they talk about the gears.

Around 7:52 they do the drop test

Over time they get stress cracks and the boom.
Shock load from the drivetrain is what shatters the gears from wheel hop, harsh shifting and an unexpected hard down shift.

Only some don't do it, and if their oil pump does or did fail,
do you really think they'll come back on here and admit they made the wrong choice after boasting it's not needed.

If ask you'll find that 80 to 90 %, have, especially with the 700+ and optional 750 Stage II kits. And now with the new Gen 4 compressors I can't see not doing it.
If it shatters you'll loose the engine at full wide open throttle.
I know it's another $1,000+ at time of SC install but it's insurance and you don't have to drive around worrying about it.

Last edited:

Dr_Chooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry, my wording was confusing. I will most certainly upgrade to billet oil pump gears as soon as the engine is no longer warrantied. Regardless if I go forward with boosting the engine or not. I was talking about upgrading the gear ratio. I've heard most say it's not necessary once you go SC with the right tune.

Last edited:

Landon T

Reaction score
I’ve debated the billet gear change also but in the end went with it. If your that far into the build of adding the SC easier to do it beforehand then rip it all off and add later. I’m a huge fan of preventive maintenance and would fear every time I really got into the throttle of this was the time the oil pump gears go...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry, my wording was confusing. I will most certainly upgrade to billet oil pump gears as soon as the engine is no longer warrantied. Regardless if I go forward with boosting the engine or not. I was talking about upgrading the gear ratio. I've heard most say it's not necessary once you go SC with the right tune.

If your not going with bigger tires I wouldn't recommend it

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Definitely not necessary to change the gears with a Whipple. The power is night and day over stock.