Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

2012 Raptor - Recommended Performance Upgrades

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by mrwizard93, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM.

GotExhaust
  1. SOW Team 6

SOW Team 6 Member

Last Sept at 85K miles on my 2014, I put on Corsa CAT back exhaust, SCT tune, and aFe cold air. Very significant difference - I was pleased with the outcome.

Jonny V likes this.
  2. tgrayson

tgrayson Member

I have a 2014 SVT 6.2 Raptor and have made the following upgrades:
    Roush CAI
    Borland Ford Performance Exhaust
    JDT Oil/Air Separator
    Ford Performance Rear Differential Cover
    B&M transmission fluid level dipstick
    ADD Venom Front Bumper
    Rigid Driving and Fog Lights
    BFG KO2 tire at 45psi (better balance & wear)

I put on a K&N drop in air filter and Corsa Resonator delete pipe to start with and it did ok. However, the Roush CAI and Borland Performance Exhaust really let the engine breath with a noticeable seat of the pants feel and 1 to 2 mpg increase average. I chose the Touring model exhaust and it is actually quieter during normal driving until you stomp it.

I have always run 89 octane gas with a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lub and fuel injector cleaner with Factory Tune. It runs strong for the street without any bad driving characteristics. Hope this helps.

3. vegascarnut

vegascarnut Member

Agreed 100%. Intake and throttle bodies are a total waste. They don't put MORE of anything in the engine—air/fuel is what I mean. Wasted dollars. The only way to get more power is to add more air AND more fuel, along with better spark and timing curves. The tune is a great performance addition because it makes those necessary timing/fuel/air adjustments. That combined with a handheld tuner to make adjustments when needed for tire size, etc. is really nice. Tune also firms up the shifting which is something you will enjoy.

Exhaust is also a waste of money for meaningful HP gains—you will gain a tiny bit, but you will never feel it—5-15 hp on a truck like this is not something you'll notice. Exhaust starts to matter more with forced induction, but still, the BIG gains are with the turbo/supercharger, not the exhaust. I DO like more exhaust sound, but sometimes on a long trip (especially with people who complain about "noise") I like the option to make it quiet. So what I did was install an electric exhaust cutout. I get the roar when I want, and quiet when I want. Everyone is happy, and it cost me about $200.

When I used to build Mustangs, the first thing guys would add (me included) was a new set of gears. BEST bang for the buck for seat of the pants performance around town—and in this case, off-road. If you have bigger tires, they do bog the truck down, and gears really help to bring the torque back. I don't know many guys who have changed ring n pinions on these, but I'm sure it would give the same effect—does NOT help highway MPG though. ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    MTF and Jonny V like this.
  4. SS308

SS308 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Two words: Pedal Commander...

5. vegascarnut

vegascarnut Member

Never heard of this until now. Seems really cool. I have a tune from JDM. Will it work with custom tunes? Going to check it out!

EDIT: after looking at the website, it looks like it plugs right into the pedal harness, so it would be independent of the tune, regardless.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM
  6. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Just make sure you talk to the Tuner and let them know you plan on using the Pedal Commander.
    They will have to turn down the Throttle response back to stock in the Tune, so you can play with the PC
    You can save money and just do the Tune, unless you want the whiplash effect of the PC when dialed up at every light or stop sign.

7. SS308

SS308 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

With the Pedal Commander, the other concern is getting that silly grin off of your face. :)