2012 Raptor - Recommended Performance Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwizard93

Reaction score
Now that my truck is on year 7, I am looking at doing some performance upgrades. What is the consensus on current upgrades that won't break the bank and will provide a nice little boost in performance?

I am not talking about adding a supercharger but would like to keep the upgrades under $2k total if possible.
  • I was thinking of the Roush CAI (although there is considerable back and forth regarding this upgrade).
  • I also thought of the 85mm BBK throttle body but I am now not after some searching and reading up on the forums.
  • I am thinking of swapping out the factory muffler and am open to suggestions. I love the low throaty sound.
The 2012 model has been out for quite a bit now so I know there is a bunch of opinions out there on what to do.

Also, I would like a reputable dealer for these parts. I am out of Florida.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!
CB

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with an aFe magnum force intake for my truck, i'm sure all of the CAI's will deliver on the performance aspect to a degree, but I got mine from a local buy and sell for dirt cheap.

I thought about doing a peddle commander as lots of guys really like them but I found a SCT X4 tuner for 225$. I'm also just running the SCT can tune for now and between both mods it's awesome. the engine is way louder (i prefer all engine noise vs exhaust) and the truck is more responsive. if you plan on doing a tune, now or in the future look into which intakes have the best results with either MPT or 5 Star tune. might as well maximize your gains before you buy!

i'm just cutting the exhaust before the axle and adding a down turn tip, so I have no recommendations. I've seen on here some guys like the MBRP downturn, corsa exhaust line and one other.. but i can't remember.

as for a dealer.. you should message the vendors on here. most.. if not all of them will have better pricing and can get you parts shipped to you quickly.

OP
OP
M

mrwizard93

Reaction score
I did not want to put any names down but was thinking of ordering from cjponyparts because they have a 10% discount for the next 3 days. How can i find the contacts on here? Or is there a preferred forum vendor?

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not want to put any names down but was thinking of ordering from cjponyparts because they have a 10% discount for the next 3 days. How can i find the contacts on here?

go down to the vendors list on the main page and start a conversation with them or you can look through the vendor feedback page to see who we've had positive and negative dealings with.

for example I've bought parts off of @Rick@FreedomMotorsports he's awesome to deal with! and btw cjponyparts is a vendor on here too.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cold air intake is nice, but don't expect a big difference. It'll definitely sound better. Don't expect a lot out of a cat-back either. It'll sound deeper and maybe a touch more power, but not overly noticeable. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I liked my AFE CAI a lot before I went to a supercharger. I'm just trying to give you realistic expectations.

But yeah, Tuner and CAI for what you are asking about. Nothing compares to a supercharger though. :)

OP
OP
M

mrwizard93

Reaction score
The cold air intake is nice, but don't expect a big difference. It'll definitely sound better. Don't expect a lot out of a cat-back either. It'll sound deeper and maybe a touch more power, but not overly noticeable. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I liked my AFE CAI a lot before I went to a supercharger. I'm just trying to give you realistic expectations.

But yeah, Tuner and CAI for what you are asking about. Nothing compares to a supercharger though. :)

I definitely understand that I should not expect a HUGE difference but maybe a little something when I push down on the pedal.

I would love a supercharger but $6k is a bit over the budget and I want to avoid the potential issue with speeding tickets!

So far, adding the tuner to the shopping list.

I am also looking at buying new headlights and tail lights to give my truck a fresher look.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a Tune, it will open up full throttle at 600 rpms., not like what the factory set it (full open throttle at 3,500 rpms)
More timing, more fuel and air, BIG difference.

A new cold air intake not worth the money, just use a oil type drop in filter, a few brands to choose from.
SVC did a whole flow chart comparison, they all flow the same.
Cat-Back Exhaust, if your into noise, OK.
Headers will give a boost in power.
I'm full stock exhaust no resonator (2010 1/2 doesn't come with one) 560 RWHP

Do not go with a bigger Throttle body, it's complete waste of money.
And doesn't run right any way.

A Whipple installed is around $12,000 +/-
Roush a little bit cheaper by a $1,000 +/-

Last edited:
R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Thanks @SVTTrooper for the shout-out, I do appreciate it.
@mrwizard93, We sell tuners, headers, CAI, Exhausts and other performance mods.
The owner of Freedom Motorsports / Got Exhaust, Chris Kelley has a supercharger, tune, Corsa exhaust and headers so we can definitely help you there.
I personally have pretty much a stock engine. I still have the stock in-take because in my opinion it works well when off-roading. I also have a MBRP turndown because I was ripping my Ford Performance/Borla off and needed something out of the way. It sounds great and I really like it.

But I have a Pedal Commander and even though it doesn't add any HP, it gives you the seat in the pants difference. It removes the lag and really gives the truck a difference that is hard to explain but worth trying. I've had mine for 3 years and wouldn't drive without one. Chris runs one too, even with his HP power mods and so does a lot of other raptor owners.

If you would like to get some pricing on some items, please feel free to send me a message here or email me at [email protected].

FYI: We are a sponsor of this section for performance with FRF. :)

Last edited by a moderator: