2012 dsp suggestions for stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomilton

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the stereo in my 2012 supercrew.
I decided on Diamond Audio again for this build where I have used their stuff on 2 previous vehicles. FJ cruiser and Subaru. Both sounded excellent. For the raptor I chose.
Diamond Audio
H65s speakers for front and rear
2 12” shallow mount diamond subs
HX1200.5 amp
Audio control lc7
Still the music is lacking a full sound to me. sounds like it’s missing certain frequencies. Any suggestions? Do I need another dsp or add in an equalizer. Or is there a way to bypass the factory amp that may be the culprit.

Attachments

• CDE97DF1-CBA3-424D-B21D-CFA00FCD18CE.jpg
    CDE97DF1-CBA3-424D-B21D-CFA00FCD18CE.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a JL Audio Cleansweep and Signal Summing device in mine. Apparently the factory Sony unit varies the EQ through the volume range. With the JL unit you play a special calibration CD and the DSP in the JL Unit make the signal flat again. JL Audio has since replace the two units with an integrated one. If doing again I would buy the 6 channel version so I could get front rear fade.

OP
OP
T

Tomilton

Reaction score
I am using the factory head unit. I have been looking at different dsp devices and keep seeing post about people using different products and still having trouble getting a clean or flat signal to the amp. I have looked into pac audio unit because it goes in before the factory amp, but my buddy who owns a car audio store says pac is junk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am partial to the mosconi 6to8. we do tuning for sq competitions and the mosconi is our processor of choice due to the adjustments available.

Kostiuk

Reaction score
I sent my factory nav unit off and had it reprogrammed to put out a signal that could be fed directly into an aftermarket amp. It sounded like shit. I bit the bullet and replaced the factory HU with an aftermarket. I never did try a sound processor. I guess they work pretty well but I am a skeptic after hearing the crap coming out of the factory HU I just don't see how you can replace whats missing and have it sound as good as an aftermarket unit.
Kevin K.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent my factory nav unit off and had it reprogrammed to put out a signal that could be fed directly into an aftermarket amp. It sounded like shit. I bit the bullet and replaced the factory HU with an aftermarket. I never did try a sound processor. I guess they work pretty well but I am a skeptic after hearing the crap coming out of the factory HU I just don't see how you can replace whats missing and have it sound as good as an aftermarket unit.
Kevin K.
i am in the springs

OP
OP
T

Tomilton

Reaction score
Well I’m going to give this a try, https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-fd11. Hopefully bypassing the factory amp will help. This truck is frustrating, never before have I had diamond audio stuff sound like shit, so I know it’s not the speakers/amp

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m going to give this a try, https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-fd11. Hopefully bypassing the factory amp will help. This truck is frustrating, never before have I had diamond audio stuff sound like shit, so I know it’s not the speakers/amp

I was having issues and I think the stock Sony amp was the problem. So last weekend I removed the JL Audio DSP gear and put in the PAC. The JL Audio stuff takes speaker level out of the Sony amp. The PAC integrates into the Ford wiring harness and it samples on the line level before the Sony amp. Other than having to take most of the interior out, it was really easy to install and it is supposed to be flat across the volume range. So far so good..joe

Last edited:

autokraftgt

Reaction score

I just finished my system install a few months ago...the PAC will solve the issue and yes the Sony amp is sabotaging the sound quality. I'd highly recommend an aftermarket HU simply for peace of mind...I have tested factory HU's that SEEMED to have a clean signal. Once an aftermarket HU was installed, I realized the signal was not that clean. My system is DEAD silent of noise and I couldn't be happier with the results

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

And yes a DSP (depending on which one) is worth every penny as long as it is tuned well. A well integrated DSP is a complete game changer in so many ways
Mosconi
Helix
ARC ps8
P99