2012 Border Patrol rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Coop661

Reaction score
"Im having a mechanic inspect the truck Monday, and will decide whether to make an offer based off of his assessment". Is there any way you can have your mechanic pull engine oil & trans fluid samples and overnight them to a test lab? Maybe leave a deposit with Mr Sketchy McSketcherson used car deal "pending lab test results"? My only regret when I bought my 2011 was that I was 400mi from home, and since it was the holidays there was no practical way to pull oil samples, wait for test results, then drive ANOTHER 800 miles round-trip. I got lucky on the engine and diff test results, but the trans had really high metals in it. I ended up buying an extended warranty, but having that trans fluid test would have either knocked $$$ off the price or made me keep on looking for another Raptor.
That's a good idea, I will ask the mechanic about the samples. The truck is in Minnesota and I live in Maryland otherwise I would check it out and get samples myself. According to Carfax the trans and diffs were serviced regularly which does give me some peace of mind.

OP
OP
C

Coop661

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the responses, definitely makes me feel better about possibly purchasing this truck. Obviously with that kind of mileage and where it's coming from there's always the possibility of something major going bad but I'm not as leery as I was originally

US HWY 666

Reaction score
That truck really photos well. Someone did a fantastic job detailing it!! Good luck and hope it works out for you.
I’m sure you realize vehicle photos
can hide a lot. Speaking from
experience.
That said, I agree with you, to a point.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man I was a little worried it might get bought out from under me if I posted on here lol! We'll see what the inspection turns up. The dealer has been dishonest about where the truck came from and tried to tell me he drove it over 2k miles after he bought it. Going off the Carfax it's been driven a whopping 25 miles since it left the auction. He also told me he wasn't sure he wanted to let it be driven by the mechanic who is inspecting it because "I just had it detailed and the roads are salty". And then when I asked about engine hours he told me it's not possible to check them, which is just flat out not true. Dude is like the ultimate boss of sketchy used car dealers
What does that mean “the roads are salty” as a reason for a mechanic to not test drive it. What about a customer wanting to test drive it? Will he not allow that either? If he plans on selling it whats he worried about if road salt gets on it, its not like its going to start rusting right in front of you. I’ve been driving my Raptor around these salty roads for 2 yrs and still no rust. I think he just doesn’t want a “mechanic” to be in it for fear of finding something you can negotiate with.

OP
OP
C

Coop661

Reaction score
What does that mean “the roads are salty” as a reason for a mechanic to not test drive it. What about a customer wanting to test drive it? Will he not allow that either? If he plans on selling it whats he worried about if road salt gets on it, its not like its going to start rusting right in front of you. I’ve been driving my Raptor around these salty roads for 2 yrs and still no rust. I think he just doesn’t want a “mechanic” to be in it for fear of finding something you can negotiate with.
Yeah exactly that's what I was thinking. He kept telling me how clean it is because it's been down south on the border its whole life and never seen salt. Then I look at the car fax and every service that it has had was in North Dakota! Like I said the dude is super sketchy

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If in fact that was a Border Patrol vehicle, a lot of the initial BP Raptors were assigned
to supervisors. Those Raptors had a lot easier life than all the other patrol vehicles.
There were a lot of Raptors that are still are in service as regular patrol vehicles.
Those get used pretty hard by various agents on a daily basis.

That’s clearly a supervisors vehicle, or an extra for higher command personnel. Actual use would have beat up the interior a lot more.

I’m going to say it’s likely not a CBP based on the bed of the truck. Don’t see scratch marks where a sliding bed would’ve been bolted in.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah exactly that's what I was thinking. He kept telling me how clean it is because it's been down south on the border its whole life and never seen salt. Then I look at the car fax and every service that it has had was in North Dakota! Like I said the dude is super sketchy
Call him out on that bu*l sh*t