2012 Border Patrol rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coop661

Reaction score
Sup guys, first post here. Looking for a vibe check on this winner here. What do y'all think it's worth?

https://www.originalownerautos.com/inventory/view/16213094/2012-Ford-F-150

Things I know

Dealer is sketchy. Wouldn't consider buying from them if it wasn't a 1 owner vehicle with extensive service history

Truck was Government owned out of North Dakota, border patrol I guess or maybe DNR/fish and wildlife.

Has long Carfax history, never went much past 5000 miles without a service. Strange thing is all Carfax shows is basic service no replacement of parts, brakes, tires, etc. I don't know if they were doing big fixes in-house at the government facility and just having fluids changed at the lube shop or if the shop just didn't log the repairs in detail. Obviously with 180k some parts have been replaced.

Mileage is fairly high and I'm sure it's got very high engine hours with it being a government vehicle. Center console will need replaced, interior back door locks and window switches will need to be reconnected. Likely in need of a shock rebuild I would assume.

Im having a mechanic inspect the truck Monday, and will decide whether to make an offer based off of his assessment. He's going to take some pics of the undercarriage so I can see what the rust situation is. Truck was originally priced at 26k (insane) but after almost a month and a half it's fallen to 21k. I feel like it's a pretty niche truck given the base interior and tool cap, along with high mileage and it's questionable life as a government service vehicle.

Overall it looks clean, dealer pics can hide a lot but it doesn't have any caved in panels or terrible rust. The cap on the truck is worth around 4k. I would be buying the truck for work and the cap is what attracted me. I'm a logger so I spend a lot of time off road in nasty places and a Raptor would be pretty sweet for hauling my gear around.

Thanks for any opinions provided!

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is one sweet Raptor, the pic of the bed is what impressed me, the interior is in great shape. The truck looks very well maintained and not abused at all. My Raptor has about the same mileage and maintenance interval with no major repairs. Nice find, good luck with the purchase.

OP
OP
C

Coop661

Reaction score
Oh man I was a little worried it might get bought out from under me if I posted on here lol! We'll see what the inspection turns up. The dealer has been dishonest about where the truck came from and tried to tell me he drove it over 2k miles after he bought it. Going off the Carfax it's been driven a whopping 25 miles since it left the auction. He also told me he wasn't sure he wanted to let it be driven by the mechanic who is inspecting it because "I just had it detailed and the roads are salty". And then when I asked about engine hours he told me it's not possible to check them, which is just flat out not true. Dude is like the ultimate boss of sketchy used car dealers

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I give up. What are "front/rear microcellular jounce bumpers"? Do they mean those cheesy rear rubber-ish bump stops? The thing looks TOO clean to me, unless it is a unicorn Raptor. That means it belonged to the boss, and it mostly got used to commute, run errands, and look busy when necessary.

Attachments

• 20221204_090144.jpg
    20221204_090144.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Im having a mechanic inspect the truck Monday, and will decide whether to make an offer based off of his assessment". Is there any way you can have your mechanic pull engine oil & trans fluid samples and overnight them to a test lab? Maybe leave a deposit with Mr Sketchy McSketcherson used car deal "pending lab test results"? My only regret when I bought my 2011 was that I was 400mi from home, and since it was the holidays there was no practical way to pull oil samples, wait for test results, then drive ANOTHER 800 miles round-trip. I got lucky on the engine and diff test results, but the trans had really high metals in it. I ended up buying an extended warranty, but having that trans fluid test would have either knocked $$$ off the price or made me keep on looking for another Raptor.

US HWY 666

Reaction score
I give up. What are "front/rear microcellular jounce bumpers"? Do they mean those cheesy rear rubber-ish bump stops? The thing looks TOO clean to me, unless it is a unicorn Raptor. That means it belonged to the boss, and it mostly got used to commute, run errands, and look busy when necessary.
If in fact that was a Border Patrol vehicle, a lot of the initial BP Raptors were assigned
to supervisors. Those Raptors had a lot easier life than all the other patrol vehicles.
There were a lot of Raptors that are still are in service as regular patrol vehicles.
Those get used pretty hard by various agents on a daily basis.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great for the miles. This guy on Instagram brought a handful of border rigs not too along.