2012 6.2L loss of power on freeway, bucking Cylinder Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. So far I've installed the fuse 27 relocation kit, a new fuel pump driver module, a new fuel evap purge valve, and cleaned the maf sensor. I've driven 700 miless with no drivability issues or misfire codes. I'm still throwing a check engine light for both cats P0420, P0430 and the fuel level sensor P0461. I'm about to bite the bullet and order all new convertors and o2 sensors from ford.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If its running great now just put a strip of black tape over the warning lights. easy fix. lol On the serious note you might have to bite the bullet and get it fixed the right way. Also use better octane than 87 after that....

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i would look into your secondary o2 sensor first now that your truck is running better with still showing the code.

OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
I'll check out rock autos catalytic convertors thanks For the suggestion. I'm scheduled this week for my mechanic to do some tests on the cats and ill see if he can check the o2 sensors As well.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your PCM does the O2 checks front and rear on startup, if you're not throwing codes your O2s are good and so is the Cat most likely.
( I say that because if you have something wrong with the PCM it may not test correctly.)

Big advice here, don't mess with the cats and buy after market, Ford's OEM cats are the best quality out there for our trucks.

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF sensor?
I spray mine up 4 times a year!!!

Fuel management, there are a few controllers and sensor that would give you this problem.
Purge Valve
Evaporator management valve and/or solenoid and sensor. I forget the exact term of each.
Evaporator canister.
There are more, if I remember I'll post them here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Your PCM does the O2 checks front and rear on startup, if you're not throwing codes your O2s are good and so is the Cat most likely.
( I say that because if you have something wrong with the PCM it may not test correctly.)

Big advice here, don't mess with the cats and buy after market, Ford's OEM cats are the best quality out there for our trucks.

When was the last time you cleaned your MAF sensor?
I spray mine up 4 times a year!!!

Fuel management, there are a few controllers and sensor that would give you this problem.
Purge Valve
Evaporator management valve and/or solenoid and sensor. I forget the exact term of each.
Evaporator canister.
There are more, if I remember I'll post them here.

Thanks for the reply. I cleaned the maf sensor, replaced the evap purge valve deal on the back of the intake, replaced the fuel pump driver module above the spare tire, and did the fuse 27 relocation kit all with new ford OEM parts last week. These were all cheap things under $140 for all the parts. It seems to run well now but throwing three codes p0420, p0430 (bank 1 and 2 cats) and p0461 fuel level sensor . The truck is going to ford for service on Wednesday. I'm going to ask if I have the latest calibration flashed on my truck and have them diagnose. A few days ago a member by the name if killswitch engaged posted that a bad ford reflash caused him very similar issues and the fix was to have a different dealer reflash his pcm.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track to get your truck in order.
Hope it gets straighten out!

One note though for p0461, having the ignition on or worse, running when fueling does cause this code.

When you talk to your service advisor at Ford make sure they "re-Flash" the PCM and not just do a battery disconnect.
Just a heads up, some dealers will play that game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sixtwopower

Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track to get your truck in order.
Hope it gets straighten out!

One note though for p0461, having the ignition on or worse, running when fueling does cause this code.

When you talk to your service advisor at Ford make sure they "re-Flash" the PCM and not just do a battery disconnect.
Just a heads up, some dealers will play that game.

Got it. I'll ask for a reflash. Ive been fueling up quite a bit with the truck running to keep the AC goin. I'll start shutting it off. Thank you

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get that P0420 and P0430 code fixed because here in texas you wont pass inspection with that being the code (ask me how I know) lol. I had both of those codes thown at me in my 03 mach 1. im with MTF, don't mess with cats. theyre a big pain! unfortunate you may have to bite that bullet.. its a tough one.