2011 sony speaker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstober

Reaction score
I have purchased rockford fosgate speakers to replace the Sony speakers in all 4 doors. I have rockford components for the front door and factory tweeters.

My question is, do the factory tweeters run off a separate Amp channel? My new speakers are designed to run wires from the 6.5" with integrated crossover up to the tweeters.

I assume if factory tweeters run off separate channels then I will need to cut in above the factory tweeter crossovers? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have purchased rockford fosgate speakers to replace the Sony speakers in all 4 doors. I have rockford components for the front door and factory tweeters.

My question is, do the factory tweeters run off a separate Amp channel? My new speakers are designed to run wires from the 6.5" with integrated crossover up to the tweeters.

I assume if factory tweeters run off separate channels then I will need to cut in above the factory tweeter crossovers? Thanks for any help you can offer!

yes, they are a seperate channel. wire the doors in and use the crossovers on the tweeters, removing the cap thats in line on the factory line. pull the side dash off where the heater vent goes through the door. behind that you will find a plug with purple and brown wires. unplug it and cut off the cap. leave enough wire so you can wire into the plug and re use it

OP
OP
C

cstober

Reaction score
Thank you, Car Stereo Company for the quick response. I was afraid of separate channels, the crossovers are built into the baskets of the 6.5 " mid woofers.

So the only way I see them working is to run speaker wire from 6.5's up to the new tweeters. But I would be giving up power from the factory tweeter channels.

In this case should I cut factory tweeters wires after the caps to use the factory crossover?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Car Stereo Company for the quick response. I was afraid of separate channels, the crossovers are built into the baskets of the 6.5 " mid woofers.

So the only way I see them working is to run speaker wire from 6.5's up to the new tweeters. But I would be giving up power from the factory tweeter channels.

In this case should I cut factory tweeters wires after the caps to use the factory crossover?

the factory crossover is too low. aftermarket speakers generally have a higher crossover point. using the oem caps/crossover can damage your tweeter on higher volumes. you can always buy a set of crossovers. they are pretty cheap and easy to find. using caps are not ideal so if you can find a cheap set of crossovers, i would do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts