2011 SCREW with unfortunate water in the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beallen25

Reaction score
Truck: 2011 SCREW Raptor, No Mods, 90k miles, well kept up to this point…
Owner: ton of mechanical experience, mechanical engineer, shop with lift, machine shop access, BUT never torn into a 6.2L ford

I have done some searching and most of the threads are old or don't get super technical...

Unfortunately, today I pulled some water into my engine and by some miraculous stroke of misfortune it ended with a hole in my block. (water doesn’t compress or ignite)

I will most likely be replacing the shortblock pretty soon, so I have a few technical questions about 6.2L shortblocks.
  • From what I have read there are some differences in the heads, cam, & intake on the 6.2 for the Raptor vs. Super Duty, but are there any differences in the short block?
  • Are there any short block differences from 2011 – 2015? (head gaskets, cooling passages, open/closed deck changes, etc.)
  • Anyone have any experience with replacing a bottom end only, and can provide any advice or lessons learned?
Thanks in Advance for the help!

OP
OP
Beallen25

Beallen25

Reaction score
Creek crossing on a county road, and since we have broken record rain fall totals the past 2 weeks the water was much higher and more swiftly moving than usual. I eased in and throttled through it to make sure I didn't get washed out and to not be in it any longer than I had to. Pretty benign event to have resulted in such a drastic outcome.

And no CIA

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does suck. I can't help but would be interested to hear what you find out. And if it was me I'd consider some upgrades while I was at it, like oil pump/gears, long tube headers, etc. Good luck!

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beallen did you find any more information on the short block, and if so what you've decided to do?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With 90K miles on the engine, you would be better off buying the long block.
The heads are aluminum you don't yet if damaged them.

Your still going to have to buy a bunch of stuff to do a complete swap.

If you go to Fordparts.com (or Ford Owners website) and register and search using you vin# you well see the 3 options on engines.

Dealer can do for around $9-12K complete install depending on dealer and location and would come with warranty.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well they change the website again and are only showing the F150 and Mark LT
The Raptor's engine was like $900 more if I remember correctly.
Even Ford Tasca Parts has the other engine marked as NA and greyed out.
Best to call a dealer

Engine.JPG

Last edited:

RaptorActual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same to mine about a year or so ago. Had a ford dealership put in a new engine for $13,500. Was planning on keeping the old one and rebuilding it but the idiot at the dealership told me it was $1000 core charge when it was actually $600 so he could buy it and rebuild it. Good luck on the rebuild if I was to do it again 6.6L for the win!!!!

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor longblock vs superduty only difference is the cams
(Oil cooler and intake are different but those aren't technically part of the longblock)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro