2011 Raptor Whipple Supercharger Eating Pistons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sisaacks

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Raptor with 21K on it. It did have a procharger from Hennessey. I removed that and had a whipple installed with a JDM tune. Now the truck is missing under load, and eating pistons. This will be the 3rd time we have replaced pistons. We are getting logs to send JDM to try and find out what is going on.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? The mechanic has been doing this for 20 years...and says there is nothing wrong with the engine, but has no idea yet why this happening.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am to the point were I am about to make it stock and sell it. It should not be this difficult.

OP
OP
S

sisaacks

Reaction score
I should clarify...this is only happening at full throttle under load (going up hill)......the truck starts missing and inevitably destroys one or more pistons

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you the same guy that JDM said to start with a new block? If not, why are you changing pistons? Get rid of that engine and get a short block or long block from Ford, get your warranty with it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 6.2 was never designed for boost; a less than perfect tune can easily result in engine damage. Regardless of tune, running wide open throttle/full boost up hill for any sustained period on a stock 6.2 is never going to end well.

Joshua Krueger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take that truck to a good tuner with a dyno and make sure they dial it in. Gotta be a reason for the pistons

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@sisaacks

Ummm. you're starting another thread, the answers are on the thread you started on 1/30/2020.

2011 Raptor Whipple Supercharger | Ford Raptor Forums

I'm just going to say this one time, well now twice. LOL

First post on your other thread...

That Procharger probably already compromised the engine, especially if it had the Hennessey Tune!!!!

If it were me, I would start with a new Ford remanufacture long block and get upgraded oil pump gears.
That's what I had to do when my stock oil pump gears failed within a year of being supercharged.
I only had 7,000 miles at the time, about 2,000 being supercharged.
And now I'm going strong for 8 1/2 years

Second post....

A Ford Reman LONG BLOCK!!! and get the upgraded oil pump gears is all you're going to need.
The heads will be completely rebuilt with all new main, cam bolts and head studs and cam phasers and chains and guides and it will all be torqued properly.
It comes with a Ford 180 day warranty, it ain't much but at least it's something.
This is the cheapest and most reliable route!!!

10's of thousands of Whippled and Roush Raptors are running stock engines for years without issues!!! Towing and all.

But most have done two things, TRACTION BARS and/or oil pump gears.
And of course don't drive it like you stoled it.

Are the oil squirters still in place?

How is the battery? A weak/old battery will screw things up.
Have you check and fixed fuse #27 ???
Are you 100% sure all the coils are 100% good.
Are you using the same injectors from the Procharger kit?

Keep in mind these engine have real close tolerances, polishing the journals and honing cylinder walls isn't going to cut it for reliability.

JDM will tell you that with their Tune you don't really need to do the upgraded oil pump gears.
Doesn't mean they don't recommend doing the oil pump gears but they claim that 100's run their Tune without doing gears.
They also make you run the smaller 47 lbs. injectors and the smaller Twin 65 mm TB
Their email Tune is very conservative with smooth shifting.
They do other Tunes for the Raptor but you would have to take your truck to them.

Anything more than 60 lbs. injectors is a waste, the stock fuel pump does not supply enough fuel for anything larger,
Unless you do a boost a pump or upgrade the fuel pump. Plus the stock engine won't use more.

If you're looking for more power than 720-750 HP at the crank, then it's going to cost a hell of a lot more to be reliable.

Last edited: