2011 Raptor Tow Hitch "Ball Mount" HEIGHT Question

Discussion in '2011 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only)' started by Mark Ducati, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Mark Ducati

Mark Ducati Full Access Member

I use one of these standard ball mounts on my wife's Infiniti QX56... but the hitch on the Ford Raptor seems to be a few inches higher...

Will this standard ball mount work on the Ford Raptor for towing a boat, U-Haul, or small trailer? This is a 3/4" Rise/2" drop.... this is what I use on my wife's QX56.

[​IMG]

Or do I need to use one of these extended/lowered ball mounts? That's a 4 3/4" Rise/6" Drop?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Nv Guy

Nv Guy Full Access Member

The one I use for my car trailer is about 2 1/2" from the pin hole to the top of the surface where the ball sets. I think your going to need the one that's in the middle of the two you show. I prefer the ball to be a bit high to compensate for the soft suspension on the Raptor. I have found that boat trailers tend to be somewhat lower than your standard utility trailer.

3. xBX

xBX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ive towed a 27ft boat with the standard hitch. It sits fine, looks fine and sits high/low enough.

I guess if your really worried about it, and your towing something light or tail heavy then get a little drop hitch

4. whtrapta

whtrapta Ostrich Wrangler

I tow with a standard drop (2inch) and its flat. the suspension drops enough to keep it level.

5. FSM06

FSM06 Full Access Member

They make a lot of different drop hitches in different heights, get what allows your vehicle to tow the load as level as possible.

FSM

6. MORaptorMan

MORaptorMan Full Access Member

It all depends on the trailer tounge height. I got a 4" drop to tow my motorcycles on a utility trailer and it was perfect. You'll have to do some measuring.

7. warrior

warrior Your Wife's Personal Trainer

I use a 2" drop for my car trailer.

8. Mark Ducati

Mark Ducati Full Access Member

I guess maybe I've just gotten lucky then over the past few years towing stuff behind my wife's QX56... the "standard" ball mount (if there is such a thing), at the height its at has always worked for towing a boat, lawnmower trailer, and even an RV trailer we once borrowed for a weekend.

Get the right hitch/ball mount ratio for the right job is what I'm taking from this thread....

9. Raptor62

Raptor62 Full Access Member

I use a weight distribution hitch for my car hauler. It is much safer that way. I use a regular hitch and ball for my utility trailer with a 4" drop and it works out fine. You will need to experiment to see what works best for you. The object is to make sure the truck and trailer is as level as possible when fully loaded.

10. neveo

neveo FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

funny my wife has a qx56 as well. we use it t ow a 21foot wakeboard boat, haven't used the raptor for it yet, maybe next summer.