2011 Raptor Tow Hitch "Ball Mount" HEIGHT Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one of these standard ball mounts on my wife's Infiniti QX56... but the hitch on the Ford Raptor seems to be a few inches higher...

Will this standard ball mount work on the Ford Raptor for towing a boat, U-Haul, or small trailer? This is a 3/4" Rise/2" drop.... this is what I use on my wife's QX56.

valley_power_pull_xtreme_ball_mount.jpg

Or do I need to use one of these extended/lowered ball mounts? That's a 4 3/4" Rise/6" Drop?

80240_tn.jpg

Last edited:

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I use for my car trailer is about 2 1/2" from the pin hole to the top of the surface where the ball sets. I think your going to need the one that's in the middle of the two you show. I prefer the ball to be a bit high to compensate for the soft suspension on the Raptor. I have found that boat trailers tend to be somewhat lower than your standard utility trailer.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive towed a 27ft boat with the standard hitch. It sits fine, looks fine and sits high/low enough.

I guess if your really worried about it, and your towing something light or tail heavy then get a little drop hitch

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a lot of different drop hitches in different heights, get what allows your vehicle to tow the load as level as possible.

FSM

MORaptorMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the trailer tounge height. I got a 4" drop to tow my motorcycles on a utility trailer and it was perfect. You'll have to do some measuring.

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess maybe I've just gotten lucky then over the past few years towing stuff behind my wife's QX56... the "standard" ball mount (if there is such a thing), at the height its at has always worked for towing a boat, lawnmower trailer, and even an RV trailer we once borrowed for a weekend.

Get the right hitch/ball mount ratio for the right job is what I'm taking from this thread....

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a weight distribution hitch for my car hauler. It is much safer that way. I use a regular hitch and ball for my utility trailer with a 4" drop and it works out fine. You will need to experiment to see what works best for you. The object is to make sure the truck and trailer is as level as possible when fully loaded.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess maybe I've just gotten lucky then over the past few years towing stuff behind my wife's QX56... the "standard" ball mount (if there is such a thing), at the height its at has always worked for towing a boat, lawnmower trailer, and even an RV trailer we once borrowed for a weekend.

Get the right hitch/ball mount ratio for the right job is what I'm taking from this thread....

funny my wife has a qx56 as well. we use it t ow a 21foot wakeboard boat, haven't used the raptor for it yet, maybe next summer.