2011 Raptor SCrew--Trans Downshifted to 5th and Stuck There

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I've been slammed with work of late.

My truck has been in the shop for a week as of today, and they have ordered the PCM, but it has not yet arrived. Ford says that the part is available and as of Tuesday the word was that it should be here "within a few days."

That's a bit disappointing, as I would expect that they would overnight things like that when a brand new vehicle is down--especially given that Ford no longer pays for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop. (Note, however, they are paying for it in this case because I called their customer service line and complained. To Ford's credit, I was able to speak to an actual human who (1) appeared to care and (2) was able to help. Kudos to Theodore Robbins Ford as well, as I think they had a hand in getting that accomplished).

I'm hoping to have it back before the weekend as I'm pretty well sick and tired of driving a Kia Rio.

Hey Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear that it's taking so long?????
As of today, Tod's orig truck is still sitting in Dearborn.
Released but "waiting to ship" :shooter:

randy

OP
OP
kglesq

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
Hey Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear that it's taking so long?????
As of today, Tod's orig truck is still sitting in Dearborn.
Released but "waiting to ship" :shooter:

randy

Thanks for the sympathy, but not your fault. Ford built it, you just sold it--indeed, you and I laid eyes on it for the first time at the very same instant.

I'm just frustrated because I have developed a severe dislike for the Kia Rio I'm driving, and the part seems to be getting shipped by bicycle courier.

SERG09

Hi Ho Silver
Reaction score
I picked up my Silver SCrew this evening. Put about 25 miles on her. As I was pulling in a parking lot the same thing happened to me. Wrench icon came up and truck went into limp mode. Remembered reading this a few days ago. Turned her off for a couple mins and when I fired her back up everything cleared. I'm going to take her for another ride and see what happens. She doesn't have 50 miles yet.

Thanks to the OP and this forum. You guys are the best. I wouldn't be nearly as calm if I wasn't somehow prepared. Whatever it is I know Ford will do the right thing.

Ok, I'm off like a prom dress. Can't help myself ... need to see wassup. No need to wait until I'm pressed for time and she ***** the bed!!!!

Thanks again guys.

SERG09

Hi Ho Silver
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't able to put even 100 miles on her last night. I couldn't get this situation to duplicate. Do I wait for the other shoe to drop or do I push the dealer to contact Ford tech before my new truck is AFU'd? I gotta tell ya when the gear case began "banging" gears the hair on my neck stood up. Not a good feeling for sure.

Kevin, just to be clear - your service dept found the problem in the PCM not the BCM?

Thanks

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't able to put even 100 miles on her last night. I couldn't get this situation to duplicate. Do I wait for the other shoe to drop or do I push the dealer to contact Ford tech before my new truck is AFU'd? I gotta tell ya when the gear case began "banging" gears the hair on my neck stood up. Not a good feeling for sure.

Kevin, just to be clear - your service dept found the problem in the PCM not the BCM?

Thanks

SERG09, check my post above on the symptoms that relate to the PCM. The Body Control Module or BCM (think power door locks/windows, etc) is unrelated to the powertrain. I understand that there were a few hunderd F-150's with the bad BCM's. They are serialized and the Ford shop will be able to tell by S/N if you have one that is prone to shorting out and catching fire. The PCM or Powertrain Control Modules are the brains of your powertrain (engine and tranny). See above on the symptoms I had. If your Tranny has done any bizarre shifts or goes into limp mode with a Nov or early Dec build date, you may have a PCM issue. Hope that helps/

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SERG09, check my post above on the symptoms that relate to the PCM. The Body Control Module or BCM (think power door locks/windows, etc) is unrelated to the powertrain. I understand that there were a few hunderd F-150's with the bad BCM's. They are serialized and the Ford shop will be able to tell by S/N if you have one that is prone to shorting out and catching fire. The PCM or Powertrain Control Modules are the brains of your powertrain (engine and tranny). See above on the symptoms I had. If your Tranny has done any bizarre shifts or goes into limp mode with a Nov or early Dec build date, you may have a PCM issue. Hope that helps/

This is correct. The transmission problem should be PCM. The PCM and BCM communicate between themselves (along with a bunch of other modules) via CANbus, the BCM does do things that affect the power train, but the PCM makes the actual adjustment. For instance, your cruising along and you turn on your A/C. When you push the button on your HVAC (Heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning) head, it sends a signal to the BCM. The BCM tells the PCM that the A/C is turned on. The PCM takes note and adjust things like the engine idle RPM and cooling fan speed.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct. The transmission problem should be PCM. The PCM and BCM communicate between themselves (along with a bunch of other modules) via CANbus, the BCM does do things that affect the power train, but the PCM makes the actual adjustment. For instance, your cruising along and you turn on your A/C. When you push the button on your HVAC (Heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning) head, it sends a signal to the BCM. The BCM tells the PCM that the A/C is turned on. The PCM takes note and adjust things like the engine idle RPM and cooling fan speed.

Thanks for clarifying Pirate Air. The 2 similar acronyms: BCM and PCM, to my understanding have both had early 2011 production issues, and are 2 of the reasons that units may have had a delay in getting to the dealers. With the limited info that is getting out of Ford, it can be easy for owners to think that they may be one and the same problem, but they are not. I am the proud owner of a 2011 that escaped Dearborn with a bad PCM. Hopefully, by communicating my experience, others with early delivery are prepared for a possible issue. Any unfortunate enough to have a bad PCM should know that it is easily correctable.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying Pirate Air. The 2 similar acronyms: BCM and PCM, to my understanding have both had early 2011 production issues, and are 2 of the reasons that units may have had a delay in getting to the dealers. With the limited info that is getting out of Ford, it can be easy for owners to think that they may be one and the same problem, but they are not. I am the proud owner of a 2011 that escaped Dearborn with a bad PCM. Hopefully, by communicating my experience, others with early delivery are prepared for a possible issue. Any unfortunate enough to have a bad PCM should know that it is easily correctable.

Yeah, I think its evident now that there are/were two different issues. The PCM was always a rumor but the BCM was part of the recall Ford published a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
kglesq

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score

Thanks

I would take it in, as I'll pretty much guarantee that's a PCM issue. My truck is STILL in the shop, which means it has now been in the shop for more than 1/2 the time I've owned it. I'm now pretty much pissed off about the whole thing, as the part has taken more than a week to arrive now and I'm sitting around waiting. The novelty of driving a Kia Rio has pretty much worn off.

Do yourself a favor and the next time you see the orange wrench, run a vehicle health report on Sync BEFORE you turn the truck off. Mine did not store any of the fault codes, so having the sync printouts was helpful to show the problem to the tech.

OP
OP
kglesq

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
Yeah, I think its evident now that there are/were two different issues. The PCM was always a rumor but the BCM was part of the recall Ford published a few weeks ago.

Yep. At this point, I think the PCM issue has eclipsed the rumor mark.