2011 Raptor 300k issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhhh, yes it does matter. The pcm controls the alternator, there’s a reason the bms has to be reset after battery replacement, that diagnosis is not a good one.

Replacing the battery without resetting the bms will result in the alternator charging at its normal voltage but only at 10 amps, pretty soon, your battery will be dead, because the car is running off of it and your alternator is not charging the battery.

But feel free to diagnose as you choose, it’s that stuff that keeps me employed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
on 2011 the bms only shuts down certain features when the key is on? al least thats my understanding. the newer trucks certainly are more integrated. thats why theres a reset process on the newer trucks. i dont believe i ever read of a bms reset on an older truck.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on 2011 the bms only shuts down certain features when the key is on? al least thats my understanding. the newer trucks certainly are more integrated. thats why theres a reset process on the newer trucks. i dont believe i ever read of a bms reset on an older truck.
Since I never owned an ‘11, I cannot say will 1000000% certainty that the bms works on THAT vehicle in that way, it does on other Ford vehicles manufactured in the same year, additionally, the pcm controls the charging circuit on that truck, so disconnecting the battery while running will inject other problems, if the alternator is causing problems, it can and will kill the pcm.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick google search...... http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_disconnect_battery.htm

I’m certain you can find someone who says it’s a good idea, if you can’t afford the proper test equipment, take it to someone competent. Worst case, buy a dvom even from harbor freight, it’s a better solution than destroying the rest of the car.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have had to replace batteries on the newer trucks and have had to go through the bms reset process. never had to do it on the older trucks. i would think the voltage spike from trying to start a vehicle with a dead battery from the flickering of power is going to cause more damage than disconncting a battery. i have had to replace 4 fuses at once when that happened.

B boyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the battery in my 2013. It did not survive the cold. Now I'm worried about a bms reset. Had know idea this was even a thing. Also, no idea what a bms is? Truck appears to be running okay. Is this something I can diagnose at home and reset personally, or do I need to got to the dealer. Sometime this forum can mess with your mind more than WebMD.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the battery in my 2013. It did not survive the cold. Now I'm worried about a bms reset. Had know idea this was even a thing. Also, no idea what a bms is? Truck appears to be running okay. Is this something I can diagnose at home and reset personally, or do I need to got to the dealer. Sometime this forum can mess with your mind more than WebMD.
i dont think there is a bms reset on the gen 1. i have never found anything stating a process when replacing a battery. the new ones, yes. its annoying.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Going to calm down this anxiety now with a Buffalo Trace drink!
i just found something regarding the bms on our first gen trucks. says the truck should sleep 8 hours to reset it. basically let it sit overnight and you will be fine. no wonder they dont really say anything about it. you park it at night and it does it by itself.