2010 vs 2011 vs 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at high-mileage 2011s or 2012s. All I can afford.

You are very likely to find the same problems on a newer model year, there were not a lot of changes or real chronic issues with any particular year. Buying them half worn out of better is what leads to the repairs you experienced. Buying high miles again is very likely to put you back in the same boat.

You have already experienced buying one on the cheap and having to fix it. Now you are under the impression that buying a slightly newer one on the cheap is going to cure that problem? I seriously doubt that is going to work out in your favor. You will most likely end up with the same issues.

Just save some more and buy a decent one. I picked up a clean 2010 and do not have any real issues with it at 100k miles. I will have to rebuild the front end like you did and I need to replace the third brake light but I think you should expect such things on any older used vehicle.

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Thanks for the hard truth, Snowsled. I've been thinking the same thing.

My old Raptor had like 85k miles on it when I got it. I've found a few with 50-70k miles that I might could afford... and 1 owner instead of 5 like mine.

I might end up waiting until I have a kickass job and get a 2019 Raptor with the new 7.0L...

Or not... haha.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the hard truth, Snowsled. I've been thinking the same thing.

My old Raptor had like 85k miles on it when I got it. I've found a few with 50-70k miles that I might could afford... and 1 owner instead of 5 like mine.

I might end up waiting until I have a kickass job and get a 2019 Raptor with the new 7.0L...

Or not... haha.

Well, all that said, you should be able to find a nice Raptor for $26-28k. I bought mine with 93k miles and it was more or less one owner and one dealer serviced. I did buy from a dealer and a paid a little more than I would have liked but still a fair deal.

The trick to buying a truck like mine is accepting ahead of time that with you lower payment you will have some restoration costs on the project. They are really cool trucks and basically very durable so maintaining a clean one is a pretty viable option. Lots of guys like you looking to get in, makes it easy to sell if you need to.

I will be looking HARD at the new Ranger Raptor when it shows up. I don't really need or want a full size anymore. My SCab Raptor is as big as I want, a slightly more compact ( and less expensive) one would be awesome.

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Is the Ranger Raptor coming to America though? I heard it was going to be Europe only...

I agree, a midsize truck fits my needs. I have a Tacoma right now. But I can say that going from a Raptor to a Tacoma is a culture shock. I miss my 6.2L power and sound system...

I guess the moral of this story is: DON'T SELL YOUR RAPTOR!

Reaction score
Carmax is a good option and where I just bought my '14 at. However, you might have good luck searching cars for sale on Carfax's website. In your situation, I would run a search for one-owner vehicles and possibly those with no accidents. Before I knew the difference between years, I found a one-owner SCrew with a clean Carfax down in Georgia in the high twenties price range with something like 140,000 miles. There are some deals out there on trucks that have most likely been taken care of if you know where to look and aren't in a hurry.