GEN 1 2010 SCAB Electrical Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven_Born

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my SCAB, the instrument cluster would go blank in the info portion and I would get hill decent errors as well as others, the display would stay blank or sometimes come back alive. Then it progressed to my entire gauge cluster going dead, the info portion would blank and then the gauges and the gauge lights would stop working. I pulled the gauge cluster thinking that this was the issue after reading various things on the i-net. Today I was getting ready to pull the cluster and ship it off to have it checked and repaired, I figured I would try to open it to check the cluster which all I could do is open the back panel and did not see any apparent issues. I reinstalled in the truck and thought that I would check things since the cluster was dead when I took it out still nothing. But as I was moving the wiring harness around where it connects to the cluster, it started to work. After moving wires around quite a bit, the issue appears to be with the wiring harness where it connects to the cluster. I think that I need a new section of wire ~4-6" and the connector that connects to the cluster or a complete harness.

Now the question, after researching online I cannot find anything that details where this portion of the harness is routed in case I can purchase a complete harness or just a short section. Anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to locate either part? Would you want to splice in a new connector to your harness or replace the harness?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moving the connector says there are 2 possibilites. 1 the connector you said is worn which is highly unlikely. or 2 the pins going into the connector have bad solder joints in the cluster itself. more likely. either way, you will need to check to make sure which is bad. oem connectors are pretty stout and can handle the vibration. solder on the other hand can go bad much easier and quicker than the oem connection. however dont rule out the connector, my first thought is the solder on the pins though

OP
OP
Steven_Born

Steven_Born

Reaction score
I was thinking that it was the wires leading into the connector were bad. After getting it working, I did not want to bump anything since I wanted to test things and see if it stayed working. I will most likely tear into it next week to see if the failure is at the pins in the connector. I appreciate the feedback and assistance.