2010 ignition coil issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matts6foot8

Reaction score
So I was changing out spark plugs and coil boots after about 40,000 miles and the plugs had normal wear. What concerns me is while I was changing out the boots and coil wire a few of the resistor "pellets" would not drop out of the coil. Some were corroded in and after further research some of them had gotten so hot that they had charred the inner plastic ribs that hold the resistor. I was able to get the new ones back in the coil but some of them were not perfectly straight like they should be. My question is eventually will these resistors not being dead set perfect in line with the coil wire in the boot will this cause further problems down the road? The truck runs fine now with no misfires yet. Like I said before the spark plugs had normal Brown color when I pulled them they did not look like they were getting too hot but the coil resistors were getting too hot. The old plugs also had the right Gap at .42.
With all this being said and if I have to get all new ignition coils does anyone recommend a reputable brand? I am loyal to motorcraft but I also believe in other reputable brands if it can save money without losing quality.

OP
OP
Matts6foot8

Matts6foot8

Reaction score
I'm sorry I did replace the plugs and wires 40,000 miles ago when I first got the truck. Truck has 140,000 mi now. Original coils are still on the truck. I'm assuming 140,000 mi is a lot for a set of coils and I have no idea how it was driven before I purchased it but the body is flawless I have had no mechanical issues yet either so I believe it was well maintained.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Run it, if you start to get misfires or you see a big drop in economy or a loss of power worry about it. Sounds like they are working fine. Tough to stomach the cost of 8 coils if you don't really need them. It doesn't seem like coil failure is a particularly big problem on these trucks.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had the exact same problem on my '14 with 136K miles. Whenever I buy a new to me vehicle, I change filters, oil, plugs, etc so that I know where I stand. I (3rd owner) contacted the prior owner via the title from the dealership and learned the plugs were changed by the original owner at 46K when he bought the truck, but he hadn't had them changed since. I bought the coils from Rock Auto.com. DG525's were $89 each. DG526's were $81. The neighborhood O'Reilly's were $128 for 526's. I am talking Motorcraft parts. Total with tax and shipping to La. was $742. I don't find that the truck runs any better or increased mpg, but now I know the replacement schedule. I did remove both front tires to gain access to the lower plugs which did make it easier, I suppose.

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run it, if you start to get misfires or you see a big drop in economy or a loss of power worry about it. Sounds like they are working fine. Tough to stomach the cost of 8 coils if you don't really need them. It doesn't seem like coil failure is a particularly big problem on these trucks.
Had one start arcing to bolt/block on my ‘13 around 175k miles, you’ll hear it with the hood closed at idle (in my case a drive-through with window down). I just replaced the one coil with Motorcraft, all good.