GEN 1 2010 6.2L Transmission issue.. P0932 and possible burnt harness..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame100

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Gen1 threw a P0962 error message and the transmission is not able to lock into 1st and 2nd. Earlier I had to remove the passenger side valve cover to replace the old leaking gasket.

background:
In order to remove the valve cover, I disconnected the right side PCM connector and the plastic clip that keep the PCM cable off from the exhaust. Reconnected everything, and all was good for a week. Today, got a P0962. Thinking that I played with the 3rd PCM connector harness that controls the transmission, I thought maybe I didnt lock it in good. Started truck, same issue. I then eye traced the 3rd PCM cable. Found the issue.. The wiring harness was sitting on the exhaust..

Where I am now:
I am now trying to figure out what part number I need... Ford say it will cost me $1200 for the full wiring harness. I say I dont need the full set. I just need the 3rd piece that drops down from the PCM over the catalytics and onto the transmission. I am hoping someone may have had the same experience and know which part I will need (praying)..

Right now, I am thinking of just disconnecting the 3rd connector from PCM, pull it under the truck, and cut the harness and just splice any burnt grounded wires.. (obviously the cheapest way out, but not the best long term solution)..

Any helpful insight will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks!!!

Dr G

Reaction score
Hi All,

Right now, I am thinking of just disconnecting the 3rd connector from PCM, pull it under the truck, and cut the harness and just splice any burnt grounded wires.. (obviously the cheapest way out, but not the best long term solution)..
That would be my solution if I had the same issue. As long as you use quality butt connectors and glue shrink you should be able to implement a reliable fix. I would not solder anything. That's me, I learned wiring the aerospace way.

wakko0o

Reaction score
Yea brother go with your instincts. Learn how to do the job on YouTube if you don’t already know lol and tackle it. The worst that can happen is that the issue will come back. Think of it this way you will learn a new skill. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd pull the harnes and repair the burnt wires. I saw a neat product at SEMA that has a solder connector inside heat shrink tube. Simple splice, heat, and done.
You may get lucky and only have a 1/2 Dozen wires to fix... Doh!

D

Deleted member 12951

I’ve burnt the same cable when off-roading.
I ordered but it was less than $150 shipped.

If I recall there was a number on the harness and I used that to have the Ford dealership cross reference the replacement. Does yours not have that on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr G

Reaction score
I saw a neat product at SEMA that has a solder connector inside heat shrink tube. Simple splice, heat, and done.
You may get lucky and only have a 1/2 Dozen wires to fix... Doh!
What you are describing is called a "solder splice". If you Google that you'll find a lot of places that sell them. Some you have to crimp first, some not.

OP
OP
mindgame100

mindgame100

Reaction score
Yea brother go with your instincts. Learn how to do the job on YouTube if you don’t already know lol and tackle it. The worst that can happen is that the issue will come back. Think of it this way you will learn a new skill. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks wakko0o !

Yanked the whole harness out and got the part number. Went to Ford, ordered it. Spent all day today threading it back in..

Thanks for the moral support brother :)

OP
OP
mindgame100

mindgame100

Reaction score
I’ve burnt the same cable when off-roading.
I ordered but it was less than $150 shipped.

If I recall there was a number on the harness and I used that to have the Ford dealership cross reference the replacement. Does yours not have that on it?

Yup.. Got it when I yanked it out. PN: AL3Z-15525-JAA
:)