2010 6.2L horrible engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Damn, I would of thought that would of been an accessory as the sound doesn't seem to be in sync with the rpm's. It sounded louder on one side of the engine though. I would get it towed somewhere where they can pull the valve covers and check it out. Hope it's not too serious, keep us posted.
Will do. Agree on one side being worse (driver’s). Also agree on the tow, nothing worse then having the darn thing S the bed on the way to dealership and spend 8k instead of 2k.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
How does it sound underneath ? Cracked flywheel or loose torque convertor bolts ,would be my other guess if nothing was found on Accessory drive.

How about harmonic balancer wobbling ?
To be honest, I’m not sure. Friday was the last time I ran it and now I’m of the mindset to let it sit till I tow it to the dealer next week.

Hopefully it’s a relatively inexpensive fix. I love that truck and while the news ones look great, I’ve got to keep my V8 ;)

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Day 1 at dealer. They haven’t found the source of the sound yet. Only ruled out external sources, which I knew. They’re taking off the valve covers tomorrow to see if it’s lower or upper engine. Wonder how much effort is put in till they just say “it needs a new engine” without even knowing what is failing/failed?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Day 1 at dealer. They haven’t found the source of the sound yet. Only ruled out external sources, which I knew. They’re taking off the valve covers tomorrow to see if it’s lower or upper engine. Wonder how much effort is put in till they just say “it needs a new engine” without even knowing what is failing/failed?
They are doing the right procedure , I would check for a rocker first and if that all looks good, then it's probably time for a remanufactured engine. Try and be positive, it's only money, can't take it with you. What's that old American Express commercial "priceless" or something like that.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
They are doing the right procedure , I would check for a rocker first and if that all looks good, then it's probably time for a remanufactured engine. Try and be positive, it's only money, can't take it with you. What's that old American Express commercial "priceless" or something like that.
Yup, you’re exactly right. I’m hoping for rocker or timing chain. It sounded to me it was more in the lower front. Almost like a failing bearing. But who knows. Worrying about it solves nothing.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Spoke with the service advisor. So while they don’t have a definitive answer yet since they have yet to pull the covers, a different mechanic looked at it and said he’s sure its in the top end and that it’s a broken valve spring. Drivers side too, which was where I thought I heard it coming from. They also detected a loss of compression on number 6.

So a bit of relief in that it’s not in the lower end and would need a new engine. But I won’t know for sure till Saturday when they can find the time to start pulling it apart.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Update. Roller and camshaft were damaged. Some metal is missing from one or both and could be anywhere in the engine.

So it was either replace roller and camshaft for $4,300 and take my chances. Or new engine with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty for $8,200. I chose the engine.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update. Roller and camshaft were damaged. Some metal is missing from one or both and could be anywhere in the engine.

So it was either replace roller and camshaft for $4,300 and take my chances. Or new engine with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty for $8,200. I chose the engine.
Good choice, so that is installed price and driving down the road?