2010 6.2L horrible engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattncsu

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Longtime lurker, first time poster in need of help/advice.

I’ve got a 2010 6.2l, approximately 83k miles that just developed a horrendous noise at hot or cold idle. Fluid levels are all good. Noise doesn’t change with AC off/on or moving the steering wheel. Please let me know your thoughts.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Btw. No check engine light and the truck appears to still idle and drive well.

Belt is still original and doesn’t appear to show cracks at this point.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can check your fans. my radiator fans made a loud weird noise and i wasnt sure where it was coming from. wasnt loud at idle, but the moment i drove it, made a bad noise. fan broke off in 2018 and spun into my radiator breaking the internal seperator mixing trans fluid and radiator fluid. big problem......

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a bad bearing in one of the pulleys. You might try pulling the belt and running it. If it's quiet then spin whatever pulleys and see if they are noisy/stiff. Or get a long screwdriver and put it to your ear and listen to the accessories that way.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Almost sounds like a bad bearing in one of the pulleys. You might try pulling the belt and running it. If it's quiet then spin whatever pulleys and see if they are noisy/stiff. Or get a long screwdriver and put it to your ear and listen to the accessories that way.
I hope you’re right. I had a hunch that’s all it is, but the noise is so loud and seems inconsistent in its pitch.

Stupid question, is it ok for me to start the engine without the belt?

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Took the belt off and the noise is still there. Guess I’m waiting till the 12th for the dealership to see me.

I’m screwed.

James Min

Reaction score
do not wait that long. go and search up many reputable shops and ask them for advice. Don't always think ford is gonna give u the best answer or the answer you would want to hear.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Took the belt off and the noise is still there. Guess I’m waiting till the 12th for the dealership to see me.

I’m screwed.
Sounds like a few WOT highway runs may be in order. ;) Maybe something is just stuck, like a lifter or something. Like James said, unless you have a warranty, I would find a good independent mechanic, for sure. Best of luck. Dealerships are like hospitals, if you catch my drift.

OP
OP
M

mattncsu

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Yup, rest assured I won’t be driving it. I’m lucky to have a spare car.

But I did have the rocker arm tsb done not long after getting. So I do wonder if another one is going. But when that happed I did get a very rough idle and a check engine light. So who knows…

Thanks again

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, I would of thought that would of been an accessory as the sound doesn't seem to be in sync with the rpm's. It sounded louder on one side of the engine though. I would get it towed somewhere where they can pull the valve covers and check it out. Hope it's not too serious, keep us posted.