2010 6.2 coolant question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shouldn’t need a flush unless the coolant has started to break down and form sludge or deposits. In that case, the only Ford approved chemical flush is Motorcraft VC-1.

I assumed he would want to use the latest yellow coolant is why I recommended the flush, my bad. I personally use nothing but motorcraft products when possible, I wasn't aware of the motorcraft VC-1 flush, thank you for that info.

Are you saying the op should stick with the 2010 Gold coolant?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant colors are not universal between OEMs. Dexcool is a GM formula and is not designed for Ford engines; not sure why someone would recommend that. GM actually had quite a few issues with Dexcool on older/high mileage engines sludging up.

I only recommend Motorcraft coolant for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles. I’ve seen far too many cooling system issues caused by adding the incorrect coolant especially “universal” “all makes all models” stuff.
so even though it says its approved for ford, gm and whatever else is said on the label, its not the right one to get?

OP
OP
mprice1234

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Your vehicle takes Motorcraft Gold per the chart that @xtela posted. I confirmed that the Workshop Manual is in concurrence; Gold is listed for all F-150 engines in 2010 including 6.2.

Note that the chart can be misleading - “Y“ is actually Motorcraft Gold; “DY” is the new Motorcraft Yellow.

What's the difference between a 2010 Raptor 6.2 requiring gold coolant and all other Raptors 6.2's from 2011 thru 2014 calling for orange?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so even though it says its approved for ford, gm and whatever else is said on the label, its not the right one to get?

It appears that it meets Ford specification for Motorcraft Orange, but per the SDS the formulas are slightly different. Since it meets the spec I’m sure it will be fine, but I’d still recommend sticking with Motorcraft.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the difference between a 2010 Raptor 6.2 requiring gold coolant and all other Raptors 6.2's from 2011 thru 2014 calling for orange?

I don’t believe anything changed in regards to the 6.2. The EcoBoost debuted in the 2011 F-150 along with the 5.0, so my guess would be that the Orange was more suited to those applications so they switched the plants over.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I assumed he would want to use the latest yellow coolant is why I recommended the flush, my bad. I personally use nothing but motorcraft products when possible, I wasn't aware of the motorcraft VC-1 flush, thank you for that info.

Are you saying the op should stick with the 2010 Gold coolant?

All good.

I would stick with Motorcraft Gold on a 2010, since that is what the truck was built with. There would be no advantage to switching to orange, especially since the two coolants aren’t listed as being compatible. Even with a flush, there can still be residual coolant in the block/heads and components.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I don't think it is differences in the 6.2 as much as maybe the use of more aluminum and less copper in things like radiator, heater core and that sort of stuff. Then again it might just be cheaper.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford Gold is Zerex or Peak G05 coolant that's what my 2010 had. I run G05 in my Whipple intercooler system . When i revamped the trucks entire cooling system last year ,hoses , 180 thermostat, Ron Davis radiator , I switched to Subaru Blue coolant and its working well.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford Gold is Zerex or Peak G05 coolant that's what my 2010 had. I run G05 in my Whipple intercooler system . When i revamped the trucks entire cooling system last year ,hoses , 180 thermostat, Ron Davis radiator , I switched to Subaru Blue coolant and its working well.

I'm looking at doing much of the same later this year, but what was the thought behind going to subaru blue coolant in particular?