2 yrs 40k on 2018 Gen 2 Shocks (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
Did this last night. Running full fox 3.0 shocks and springs up front and shocks in the rear. Only drove the truck about 15 miles today. Will be testing it extensively this week.2ECCB009-6E9C-4969-B8C5-B792E3D41AED.jpeg

Attachments

• BB80F769-FA18-4609-B6FC-755195071ED5.jpeg
    BB80F769-FA18-4609-B6FC-755195071ED5.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 688BA499-6F2B-472E-83EC-59B854544422.jpeg
    688BA499-6F2B-472E-83EC-59B854544422.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 36
  • 8D43F7FB-EBF6-43D5-98A8-B138C657F08A.jpeg
    8D43F7FB-EBF6-43D5-98A8-B138C657F08A.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you didn't use Gen 1 springs, spring hat with angle wedges, you more than likely are going to get rubbage on the frame and the upper control arm will hit the spring when the wheel drops.

Jeff550

Reaction score
The problem is the shocks are longer then the max angle the tie rods and UCA can achieve…. And you loose the uptravel that the Gen 1 shocks allow.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: Another year has passed and now 50k miles on the gen 2 shocks. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this mod has worked on my Raptor. Like many others I was skeptical to do this mod with all the negative information that was being spread by people that can't tie their own shoes or want to make money. I did not mod the truck in any way to accommodate the shocks but I did mod the 2018 gen 2 shocks themselves by using the gen 1 spring, spring hat and angle wedges, that's it. One other thing to note, I did not cut the factory bumps on the front shocks, they squish as designed by ford.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Another year has passed and now 50k miles on the gen 2 shocks. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this mod has worked on my Raptor. Like many others I was skeptical to do this mod with all the negative information that was being spread by people that can't tie their own shoes or want to make money. I did not mod the truck in any way to accommodate the shocks but I did mod the 2018 gen 2 shocks themselves by using the gen 1 spring, spring hat and angle wedges, that's it. One other thing to note, I did not cut the factory bumps on the front shocks, they squish as designed by ford.
Hey Pat, appreciate what you did here in this old post. I've been searching to upgrade my suspension and give my 'new to me' G1 a little lift/firming up for towing, without breaking the bank too wide open ;) !

I thought you had to cut the top mount out and replace it, bolt/weld in that aftermarket shock tower kit as we've seen in other posts, but using the G1 spring and parts makes it very functional? Awesome if that's so. How much of a lift does that longer G2 shock body give your front end?

Does the rear pair of shocks just bolt right in? Looks like yours are not Live Valve shocks right? Could you have used those?

Is that shock body larger diameter, like 3" instead of 2.5"? Better control, less fade if it's bigger right? Just trying to evaluate the advantages so I can decide to do this mod vs having my tired ol' gen 1 fox shocks rebuilt?

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason I went with the gen 2 shocks:
1. oem gen 1 shocks w/100+k miles, fronts leaking
2. ebay gen 2 shocks new take offs less than 50 mi $600 delivered
3. gen 2 shocks are 3.0's

Someone posted what it took to make it work and I had everything so I was off to the races, that was 50-60k miles ago. I was running gen 1 w/geisser springs on low perch prior to the gen 2 shocks, it sat right at 42 inches in the front ground to flair, the gen 2's w/stock gen 1 spring is the same. As far as towing you're on your own there. I can say that no one has ever complained about the ride and when the time comes to rebuild/replace I will use 2018 shocks again. You can use the live valve from the gen 2 but the controler alone is $2k.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I went with the gen 2 shocks:
1. oem gen 1 shocks w/100+k miles, fronts leaking
2. ebay gen 2 shocks new take offs less than 50 mi $600 delivered
3. gen 2 shocks are 3.0's

Someone posted what it took to make it work and I had everything so I was off to the races, that was 50-60k miles ago. I was running gen 1 w/geisser springs on low perch prior to the gen 2 shocks, it sat right at 42 inches in the front ground to flair, the gen 2's w/stock gen 1 spring is the same. As far as towing you're on your own there. I can say that no one has ever complained about the ride and when the time comes to rebuild/replace I will use 2018 shocks again. You can use the live valve from the gen 2 but the controler alone is $2k.
Very nice Pat. I'll be following in your footsteps for sure. If anyone in FRF land has any used G2 shocks please PM me ;) . So you didn't reuse the Geisser spring, you went back to the stock fox spring, and why...?

Do those G2 3.0 shocks have any external adjustments besides 3 spring perch settings like the G1? G2 fronts do not have remote reservoirs do they?

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its time for me to do something with my Gen1 shocks.
Had been looking to just get stock replacements from Rock Auto as that seemed to be the easiest, most cost effective solution I could find. This sounds tempting. I am off to check newer year shocks on RA and see what else I can figure out. Was thinking of trying to hit a local shop with a spring/strut compressor and get stuff swapped after getting new shocks. And was thinking of using the mid-perch mount to get closer to level. And assuming front end would need re-alignment. Any reason the mid mount could happen on an '11? THANKS too

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FishFreak The reason I used the stock spring initially was to get a baseline measurement on the height of the front of the truck. It turned out to be the same as the gen 1 shocks low perch w/geissers that I had run for 100+k miles. My truck sits at 42 inches front and a touch over at 42.3 in the rear, this is w/stock tires measured from ground to fender flair. It gets tricky going over 42 inches in the front so be careful with spring choice.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FishFreak The reason I used the stock spring initially was to get a baseline measurement on the height of the front of the truck. It turned out to be the same as the gen 1 shocks low perch w/geissers that I had run for 100+k miles. My truck sits at 42 inches front and a touch over at 42.3 in the rear, this is w/stock tires measured from ground to fender flair. It gets tricky going over 42 inches in the front so be careful with spring choice.
Thanks for your help Pat. Doesn't the Geiser spring give you 1 1/2" to 2" of lift from stock bottom or mid perch? Did you set the stock spring on the Gen 2 shock at mid perch to come out at the same height as the Geiser on Gen 1 shock at low perch?

So is it possible that you actually lost downward travel, since the eye-center length of G1 vs G2 is 1" or 2" longer? When you said 'it gets tricky going over 42 inches" did you mean because of downward travel limitations or half shaft joint bind?

I'll measure my truck to see where I'm at, cuz I was wondering how much (1"-2"?) I could raise my truck with Geiser/Eibach spring lift without major problems? Right now my stock (130k miles) raptor looks so low on stock springs, low perch, and 35" tires. Almost looks 2wd ;) !