2 questions. Location of Upfitter relay box and a battery management question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dthiss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Baja Designs linkable pod lights on my bumper. Until this morning no issues. Today I started my truck and lights came on when turning on US #2 as usual. Turned them off for upcoming traffic, then on and off immediately by themselves. Turn off switch and back on nothing. Turn off truck for a minute and they come on and back off after a few seconds. I can feel the relay for the lights pick up and drop out.

So my questions are where is the relay box for the upfitter switched located? I’ve looked all over but can’t seem to locate.

Second question does battery management turn off power to one or all upfitter if voltage is low? I left my lights on over the weekend while programming the DRL’s with Forescan. The truck was in deep sleep mode this morning. It did allow me to remote start though, but the interior lights did not come on until I started the truck.

Last edited:

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Baja Designs linkable pod lights on my bumper. Until this morning no issues. Today I started my truck and lights came on when turning on US #2 as usual. Turned them off for upcoming traffic, then on and off immediately by themselves. Turn off switch and back on nothing. Turn off truck for a minute and they come on and back off after a few seconds. I can feel the relay for the lights pick up and drop out.

So my questions are where is the relay box for the upfitter switched located? I’ve looked all over but can’t seem to locate.

Second question does battery management turn off power to one or all upfitter if voltage is low? I left my lights on over the weekend while programming the DRL’s with Forescan. The truck was in deep sleep mode this morning. It did allow me to remote start though, but the interior lights did not come on until I started the truck.
“Relay box for the upfitter switch”…never heard of this. However, all of the upfitter switches are connected to a fuse that’s located in the engine bay fuse box which is nested just left of the battery.

A few things to check…
1. Ensure all fuses are fully seated. Since the light’s not coming on, check for a blown fuse
2. Ensure you have the proper amperage going to that upfitter switch. If it’s near the max, I’d strongly suggest using a relay…25/30 amp should do the trick
3. Ensure none of your light harnesses are getting pinched
4. When in doubt, contact the Vendor

With regards to the battery mngt, my wag would be that it turns power off to all of them. Drive it around for a bit to recharge the battery & you should be fine.

OP
OP
dthiss

dthiss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered that there was a bad pin in the harness to the lights. As for a relay box, I do know the Superduty has a relay box and have seen indication of such for F150’s as well. I can’t seem to find one for the Raptor. The pic below is for Superduty.

E3F15E31-FE6E-43A5-B497-EEF8F92BB738.jpeg

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I discovered that there was a bad pin in the harness to the lights. As for a relay box, I do know the Superduty has a relay box and have seen indication of such for F150’s as well. I can’t seem to find one for the Raptor. The pic below is for Superduty.

View attachment 395134
I don’t think any of the upfitter switches for our trucks are connected to relays. Therefore, a relay specific fuse box doesn’t exit…just the engine bay fuse box and the cabin fuse box located near front pass foot rest for the second set of wires behind the battery.

If you’re trying to locate each aux switch fuse, I hope the attached pic helps.

Attachments

• 85465C4D-F196-4F8F-A150-852F5DC02C32.jpeg
    85465C4D-F196-4F8F-A150-852F5DC02C32.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
dthiss

dthiss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I did find those fuses. It baffles me that the Super Duty has a relay box and Ive seen reference to F150’s having a relay box. Possibly the difference is the Super Duty may use them for snow plows and such And Raptor for mainly lights.

It’s also bizarre in the pic posted above the owners manual calls them up fitter relays.

C1A5C4DA-5C9E-4472-B7C1-A280323EDB12.jpeg

GibGas

Reaction score

View attachment 395134
How did you narrow it down to a pin? I’m experiencing a similar problem. I have some lights hooked to aux1. Ran just fine until randomly wouldn’t switch on last night. I’ll check the fuse, but if that’s not it, trying to figure out the diagnosis. I’m not very good with wiring.

t4arghhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran BD XL80s on my gen2 build and the wiring/voltage Ford pre-runs for those switches are meant for maybe a Squadron. XL80s/LP series will blow those fuses quick. As someone posted above, 10/15A is generally what they use. I opted to not use those switches and just ran a SwitchPro 9100.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
For clarification, the upfitter switches are wired to non servicable relays built in to the battery junction box. The blunt cut wires that you can tap into as a customer are connected to the switched side of the relays and go through the fuse.

Does the switch turn orange when you flip it?

-Joe

OP
OP
dthiss

dthiss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you narrow it down to a pin? I’m experiencing a similar problem. I have some lights hooked to aux1. Ran just fine until randomly wouldn’t switch on last night. I’ll check the fuse, but if that’s not it, trying to figure out the diagnosis. I’m not very good with wiring.

when I flipped the upfitter switch I could here the relay open and close. So I started to disconnect the plugs on the lights one at a time and narrowed it down. .