GEN 2 2 bolt slots - tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend noticed my raptor didn't have bolts in these slots, while his does. Mines a fully loaded '17 and his is a mid '19.

Perhaps something to do with the tailgate step?
I don't have one but his does.

Any idea?
Grazie

Screenshot_20200307-224523_Gallery.jpg IMG-20200307-WA0023.jpg

Moridin

Reaction score
No idea, now I'll have to go check if I have bolts there. Would seem a safe guess to assume the step might have something to do with it.

Also... mild chuckle over saying "Mine's fully loaded" and then immediately list something you don't have. haha

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘19 with the step and it does in fact have the two screws.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
It’s there only if you have the tailgate step. It’s something about keeping it aligned, never had a clear answer why.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, now I'll have to go check if I have bolts there. Would seem a safe guess to assume the step might have something to do with it.

Also... mild chuckle over saying "Mine's fully loaded" and then immediately list something you don't have. haha

Haha I didn't notice my oxymoron.

I have a ‘19 with the step and it does in fact have the two screws.

Thanks

It’s there only if you have the tailgate step. It’s something about keeping it aligned, never had a clear answer why.

Thanks
Sorta thought it may have diverging to do with the step

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
It was taken off my truck when an installer installed my brake/blinker, reverse combo lights.

It has a slot on the other end of that black bracket and a pinch weld,(for a better name), at the bottom of the tailgate fits in it.

I had a hard time trying to find out what its purpose was and after about 6 people at the Dealer looking at it on the computer and truck a tech finally told me it was to help keep the tailgate from sliding back and forth into the sides which made some sense as heavy off-roading tends to loosen the sides.

Some manufacturers sell brackets to help bolster the sides at the rear.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So nothing to do with side step?

Only trucks with the step have it. It has to do with the additional weight of the tailgate. As Sixshooter stated above, It keeps the tailgate from sliding side to side. Apparently the heavier tailgates needed this striker plate so the truck with steps have it.

the first link shows regular tailgate and tailgate with step. You can see the tailgate with step has the striker.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...cat/tail-gate-scat/?part_number=fl3z99404a42c

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...1MCZ5PTIwMTcmdD1wbGF0aW51bSZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz