GEN 2 1st Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffster

Reaction score
The first oil change is the most important I do at 1000 mi 5000 after that.Always used ford recommended motorcraft oil and filter.I don't think it's important to use a more expensive oil if your not competing or extending the oil changes.I use this policy on 24 fords in our fleet 4 have over 240000. mi and 4 are 3.5L ecoboost but only 80000.mi no engine breakdowns yet.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first oil change is the most important I do at 1000 mi 5000 after that.Always used ford recommended motorcraft oil and filter.I don't think it's important to use a more expensive oil if your not competing or extending the oil changes.I use this policy on 24 fords in our fleet 4 have over 240000. mi and 4 are 3.5L ecoboost but only 80000.mi no engine breakdowns yet.
Yes! This is what I do and have always had great success with this formula

mcgleevn

Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would deviate from what Ford recommends (see 5.4L issues with filters other than Ford)... Ford hires the best and brightest minds to engineer the crap out of these engines. I bought a high performance vehicle, and I expect it to perform that way. I don't believe that an A/M company will have as much access or data than the company that actually produced the vehicle... Correct me if I am wrong, and I would be more than willing to change my mind about following Ford's maintenance schedule.

OP
OP
charliebrown

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why anyone would deviate from what Ford recommends (see 5.4L issues with filters other than Ford)... Ford hires the best and brightest minds to engineer the crap out of these engines. I bought a high performance vehicle, and I expect it to perform that way. I don't believe that an A/M company will have as much access or data than the company that actually produced the vehicle... Correct me if I am wrong, and I would be more than willing to change my mind about following Ford's maintenance schedule.

Good point. I do think the factory engineers have the best knowledge to make the best maintenance recommendations.

That said, I think they make those recommendations based on what works for most conditions such as climate, duty cycles, normal wear and tear and operating cost over the life (or at least the warranty period) of the vehicle. I think they prioritize service based on “normal” operations for a given vehicle. Those norms may not be ideal for extremes such as racing or regular trips to redline or even long idle times (I noticed once I was sitting in a parking lot and after maybe 20 minutes or so I got a dashboard message saying the truck will turn off in 30 seconds unless I hit start/stop).

My thoughts are that while I don’t take my truck to the extremes all the time, it doesn’t hurt to change the oil more regularly. Could be I’m wasting my money but then again I waste money all the time in exchange for piece of mind [emoji41]

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2019 I added literally a couple ounces of oil at 1000 miles, just checked today at 4852. Oil level has not changed and oil appears surprisingly clean. Going to change oil/filter this week at 5000 miles.

tmanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What oil temperature are you guys seeing under normal driving conditions? I'm seeing 200-220*F. Seems high. I'm running the ford spec filter and oil.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What oil temperature are you guys seeing under normal driving conditions? I'm seeing 200-220*F. Seems high. I'm running the ford spec filter and oil.

I got up to about 202*F but it’s still pretty cold here. Ususally in the 190s. I’m sure in the heat, I will see 220.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019, What is the part number for the fumoto valve--their website only goes to 2017 F150?