19 Leaking moonroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nermol

Reaction score
Found wet carpet on the passenger side when doing some wiring the other day. With only 14k on the truck I brought it to the dealership to have them investigate. They say the moonroof tracks are broken and causing the leak. I never open the roof, but the service advisor said this is a fairly common issue.
Can anyone confirm this happening to them?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Found wet carpet on the passenger side when doing some wiring the other day. With only 14k on the truck I brought it to the dealership to have them investigate. They say the moonroof tracks are broken and causing the leak. I never open the roof, but the service advisor said this is a fairly common issue.

Did you open the roof and hear the tell tale “pop” when the glass was trying to move backwards?

I’m asking because all things being equal the broken track in and of itself won’t cause a leak unless the roof is stuck open or partially open. Another issue that can happen is clogged drain lines. I’d have this investigated as well while it’s at the stealership.

It is fairly common, but you can work around it.
1) always open the moon roof to vent position first. This breaks the glass to rubber seal without putting strain on the track system.
2) lube the glass to rubber contact areas with the expensive but effective Ford Krytox grease - available online, even on amazon. A little goes a long way and lasts a while.

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - I had the same issue with my 16 F150 on the drivers side and come to find out the drain tube that runs down the A-Pillar was not connected in the fender behind the parking break assembly.....and it wasn't connected below the sunroof drain as well. If for some reason their discovery isnt the fix you need to expose those 2 connections and confirm they are indeed connected!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like they opened the roof opening panel and broke the tracks. The most common source of a damp passenger floor is the evaporator drain tube. There is a TSB that just has the dealer install a right angle elbow to prevent moisture from accumulating in the drain tube, easy fix. If the roof opening panel drains were plugged to the point of overflowing (they're "wet" seals") it wouldn't be isolated to the passenger side floor under the instrument panel.

Sounds like the dealer now needs to replace the roof opening panel brackets and complete the evaporator drain tube TSB. Both are non-invasive at least.

OP
OP
N

nermol

Reaction score
Sounds like they opened the roof opening panel and broke the tracks. The most common source of a damp passenger floor is the evaporator drain tube. There is a TSB that just has the dealer install a right angle elbow to prevent moisture from accumulating in the drain tube, easy fix. If the roof opening panel drains were plugged to the point of overflowing (they're "wet" seals") it wouldn't be isolated to the passenger side floor under the instrument panel.

Sounds like the dealer now needs to replace the roof opening panel brackets and complete the evaporator drain tube TSB. Both are non-invasive at least.
I can ask about the evaporator drain.

Apparently it is a couple days work
And will put me in a rental. When I told the service advisor I never use the moon roof he did he thought it may have been bad from the factory. I doubt this as I would have noticed the water accumulation on the floor or the dampness in the truck over the last two years.
Hopefully they can get it fixed and it will stay fixed if I don’t open the moonroof.

OP
OP
N

nermol

Reaction score
Did you open the roof and hear the tell tale “pop” when the glass was trying to move backwards?

I’m asking because all things being equal the broken track in and of itself won’t cause a leak unless the roof is stuck open or partially open. Another issue that can happen is clogged drain lines. I’d have this investigated as well while it’s at the stealership.

It is fairly common, but you can work around it.
1) always open the moon roof to vent position first. This breaks the glass to rubber seal without putting strain on the track system.
2) lube the glass to rubber contact areas with the expensive but effective Ford Krytox grease - available online, even on amazon. A little goes a long way and lasts a while.
Sounds like they opened the roof and heard the pop.
I’m not convinced this was the cause of my water leak. They did say the roof drain tubes were clear. I never open the moon roof and this is definitely a recent leak as I’ve never had moisture in the truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It sounds like they’re taking care of it, so that’s good. This one can be a tricky affair for some stealerships. My former local stealer didn’t have a moon roof tech and they were a pretty big service dept. So it was always a 2x scheduling problem, schedule with the stealership who then scheduled the remote repair. it took me 3 tries to get it repaired right. 1st time was 7 or 8 days and nothing - they pre-ordered my parts but then installed them in another truck. Rescheduled, another week and got it back fixed but rattling more than a bit.

S/A ordered tracks for it but they ended up just realigning and tightening everything and that seemed to help eliminate most of the rattling. I have a cab full of stuff so I’m pretty sure I have some other noise in the cabin as well as the moon roof, but the moon roof rattling is subtle now.

Just keep the seals lubed up and pop to vent before moving that glass rearward and you should be fine going forward.