GEN 2 19-20 Live Valve suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMPRAPTOR

Reaction score
The driving mode selection in the IPC changes the mode of the shocks. The shocks become stiffer in Sport Mode and softer in some Off-Road modes like Baja.

In the event of a failure, the shocks default to full stiffness to protect the truck. In order to change the damping rate, the Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM) sends a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the shock solenoids. The solenoid opens or closes the valve depending on the amount of current supplied by the VDM. The higher the current, the more the valve is opened, resulting in a lower level of damping.

I recently installed Geiser Offroad front coils on my 19 that has the Live Valve Shocks and was wondering if I need to do anything to the sensor arm since the upper control arm now sits at a different angle. Hope this makes sense haha

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed Geiser Offroad front coils on my 19 that has the Live Valve Shocks and was wondering if I need to do anything to the sensor arm since the upper control arm now sits at a different angle. Hope this makes sense haha
Without your foot on the brake, push the start button. Let the truck sit for a second or two in ACC mode then off.

That will reset/relearn the new height because of the springs. All should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMPRAPTOR

Reaction score
Another concern I had was feedback with using UCA that are using heims. Im most likely going with the Icons, but was concerned about negative feedback being transferred through the steering because there is no more rubber bushing to take some of the impact. Any thoughts on this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Without your foot on the brake, push the start button. Let the truck sit for a second or two in ACC mode then off.

That will reset/relearn the new height because of the springs. All should be good.

Where did you find that info? Per the Workshop Manual, the only way to recalibrate the VDM is through IDS. The recalibration zero-position procedure needs to be performed whenever a suspension height sensor or upper/lower control arm is disconnected or removed/re-installed.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find that info? Per the Workshop Manual, the only way to recalibrate the VDM is through IDS. The recalibration zero-position procedure needs to be performed whenever a suspension height sensor or upper/lower control arm is disconnected or removed/re-installed.
Tribal knowledge here. Maybe not correct?

I did it after my eibachs were installed. Truck went through some gyrations/noise and all was well. Haven’t been able to get the truck to do it again. Assumed that was the shocks resetting to the new height.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tribal knowledge here. Maybe not correct?

I did it after my eibachs were installed. Truck went through some gyrations/noise and all was well. Haven’t been able to get the truck to do it again. Assumed that was the shocks resetting to the new height.

Not sure what you were hearing, but per the WSM that will not recalibrate zero-position. I would definitely get it calibrated so that the shocks operate properly; you might even be able to do it with ForScan.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you were hearing, but per the WSM that will not recalibrate zero-position. I would definitely get it calibrated so that the shocks operate properly; you might even be able to do it with ForScan.
Will do. I’m due for my 20k checkup. I’ll have them do it then. Thank you.