GEN 2 18 Months of Raptor Ownership, summized.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if that was a good or bad review of the truck. Gosh, if it were me, with those items, I would have gotten something different.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure if that was a good or bad review of the truck. Gosh, if it were me, with those items, I would have gotten something different.
Do you even own a Raptor? All of the issues listed were the result of the PO, a missed maintenance interval, or were a known concern with an applicable TSB. The only exception was the 2 injectors, which are not a common failure.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I'm considering this summation of my 1.5 years of ownership (and continuing, spoiler, I don't want to sell it) a good intro or data point for people on the fence about buying themselves a used Gen2.

Truck Info:
CPO 2017 F-150 Raptor SuperCrew | 802A | Shadow Black | Build Date: 27 December 16

Purchase Info:
Month: June 2020
Miles: 48,610
Price: $45,241.76 + Taxes/Fees
Location: Parks Ford/Lincoln of Gainesville (Don't recommend, to be honest)
Condition: Purchase day me would've said A+, today me says B-.

Current Mileage: 81,596.7

I purchased my truck ten days after getting home from a 10 month deployment. I needed a vehicle, wanted a truck, had visited a RAM Dealership to test a Rebel, a Chevy Dealership to test a Silverado 6.2, and a Toyota Dealership to test a Tundra. My past vehicles are coupes, so I didn't know trucks much past research I did while deployed. I really didn't like any of them, so I kept looking, and low and behold my Raptor pops in CarGurus. Fresh listing, $47,000 list price. I figured it was in my ballpark, so I drove the trip down to Gainesville to look at it. Instantly fell in love with the truck, the power, the feel and ride, and Ford. I overlooked all the cosmetic faults (swirls, pin stripes, and chips), didn't realize the passenger rear door was missing the lock indicator, and barely did any negotiating (I talked it down to the 45 and change so I could get close to or below 50K out the door with CPO/Premium Care).

View attachment 333961

Now comes the fun part. I got home. Spent 3 days ogling at it parked and then started to realize the faults.

First was all the cosmetic things. I took it to a local body shop and they quoted me at around 2K to fix it, after heavy deliberation, I just left it, because I planned to (and have), take the truck off road and into some stuff where the pinstripes, swirls, and all that would just happen again. It's character, right?

That missing lock indicator? I took to it Duval Ford in Jacksonville and they gave me a free piece stating that it should've been given to me from the dealer I purchased it from. Ironically, and humorously, they gave me an indicator for a FRONT door, but I installed it anyway as a joke, and it's still there today.

Next was accepting my MPG situation. Premium, I was used to from sport coupes-- 36 gallon tank and 15.5 MPG on a good day I was not. This took a little getting used to and with rising gas prices, I'd say its over to the prospective buyer on how much you can afford to spend on gas. The trucks have sky rocketed in price, so if you can afford the truck, my guess is fuel isn't something you're very worried about. Hey, at least we're not TRX's getting 9 MPG.

Overall, in the 18 months, and nearly 33,000 miles, the truck is telling me I've averaged 16.5 MPG. This is a lie. My rough calculation has it closer to 14.5 - 15.5 MPG. Thank the heavens for COSTCO Gas. A lot of those miles were crawling up and down the east coast on I-95, or blasting the pan handle on I-10. Here's a photo of my dash I took moments before writing this, I hope seeing the 965-ish hours on the trip meter shows I'm not bluffing my numbers here since the miles says 2012.8, I promise that means about 32,012.8, although, in full honesty, I started that a couple hundred to maybe a thousand miles after I purchased the truck. Here's that photo:

View attachment 333963

Maintenance and Repairs

I'll just bang these out in list format, I keep a binder with all my service / repair records:

1. 04 August 20, Coggin Ford (Don't recommend, again): The Works Synthetic completed, I complained about rough shifting, surging, and a weird restrictive feel when shifting into 4WD (Once I'd shift back into 2D it felt like the wheels were more free and there was less resistance, the truck rolled smoother) and they performed the TSB. They also informed me my skid pan was missing bolts. (Thanks, Parks Ford) Bolts reinstalled, no cost. Overall Fee: 0.

2. 2 October 20, Bozard Ford, Saint Augustine (Strongly recommend for everything): The Works Synthetic completed, Led my service advisor down the cam phaser hole, they "confirmed it", and replaced the phasers. They also repaired my sunroof, part 1, because water shot out of the rear view mirror and doused me in water, they claimed bad rails, CPO covered it. Overall Fee: $100 deductible

3. 8 October 20, SafeLite: Walked out to my truck after work and the rear window had EX-PLODED, in pieces, all over the back seat. Took it to SafeLite: $500.

4. 3 March 21, Bozard Ford: The Works Synthetic completed. I had missed my service interval because I can't read, I did a hard pull from a stop light, oil pressure went to 0, I panicked, called Bozard, and they saw the truck the next day. Also asked them to fix the sunroof for leaking again, this time was not covered since it was a drain cleaning. Overall Fee: $482.10

5. 08 May 21, Ford of Orange Park Collision Center: Park ranger at a state park reversed into me, she took responsibility on the police report. The rear bumper, passenger tail light, and parking sensor all replaced. Overall Fee: $500 insurance deductible until the State of Florida sent me a check.

View attachment 333980

6. 6 June 21, Bozard Ford: The Works Synthetic completed. While driving to work my CEL came on, the engine started sputtering, way reduced power, white smoke out of the exhuast, heavy fuel smell. Ford paid in full to have my truck towed from Jacksonville to Saint Augustine to Bozard (about a 45 mile tow). The issue was a bad high and low pressure injector. Also had them due the A/C Deodorizer treatment, which made my A/C smell like burnt hair for a month, and they fixed my horn, which randomly broke and sounded like it came off a MATEL toy. Asked them to fix the sunroof, again, they looked at and said everything was fine. It's still not, but whatever. Overal Fee: $115.82 for the A/C treament.

View attachment 333977

7. 2 October 21: 15-min oil change, full synthetic. Overall Fee: $109.92

8. 20 December 21: Valv-o-line Instant Oil Change, full synthetic, I also picked up an air filter caused mine was gross. Overall Fee: $134.33

Mods:

A Uniden R7, because **** speeding tickets.
Built Right center mount with RAM Phone Holder.
Carbon Fiber bits from El Snag, thanks homie, it still looks amazing. ( @EL Snagadore )
Is it tuned....what are you...a narc? ( @FordTechOne )

edit: Much love to @FordTechOne --his posts have saved me numerous times, I'm only playing around

I love this truck. I've been happy with all 33ish thousands miles. It's an awesome long range cruiser (though I'll admit a diesel would be WAY more economical), it's awesome in town, and on the highway-- I have yet to find a situation that flummoxed this truck. Wait, I have one, parking Manhattan I had to pay an oversized vehicle fee and they were too afraid to move it, so I paid extra for the VIP by the door spot....like $80 to park. I still smile every morning when I walk out to it. I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now.

Time to go spend $1,556.72 on new KO2s at Discount Tire. Thanks inflation. I'll part with an awesome picture of the truck. In my opinion. I wanted to add more but file limit be darned.

View attachment 333973
Great write up my man and thank you for your service, lots of fellow veterans on here. Glad you are enjoying your Raptor. Thanks for sharing. I have wanted one since they first came out 12 years ago. Finally have a 22MY on order with an ETA any day now (12/18 - 12/24) fingers crossed.

MDD

Reaction score
Great real world review. +1 Parks Ford sux and Bozard service is excellent! They did my cam phasers after Parks said "completely normal". I had very similar fuel mileage for mixed driving and had a list of issues during the time I had mine similar to yours.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Great write up my man and thank you for your service, lots of fellow veterans on here. Glad you are enjoying your Raptor. Thanks for sharing. I have wanted one since they first came out 12 years ago. Finally have a 22MY on order with an ETA any day now (12/18 - 12/24) fingers crossed.
Hey thanks! Appreciate it! Thanks for your service as well! That's super exciting, congratulations brother! Let me know how the Gen 3 is, way too much for my budget, but I'll eye it from a distance until they're used and in my price range!

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Great real world review. +1 Parks Ford sux and Bozard service is excellent! They did my cam phasers after Parks said "completely normal". I had very similar fuel mileage for mixed driving and had a list of issues during the time I had mine similar to yours.

I didn't even include the worst part! Which I forgot to add to the review. 1 month after I purchased the vehicle, an accident report was filed on my vin for BOTH front doors on CarFax. It was listed as light damage, honestly could've been a dent repair, but it's on the CarFax, fortunately, it hasn't affected how much every dealer I've taken it to has offered me for it. Just seemed really shady from Parks, I will never do business with them again.

Parks' general manager called me back instantly when I threatened litigation (I probably had no foot to stand on, but man, was I pissed) and he offered to buy it back from everything I spent on it, but I'm glad I didn't. It's worth pretty much exactly the same or close and I got 33k miles and a year of fun out of it haha.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
+1 Awesome. Isn't burnt hair smell the opposite of deodorizing?! WTF?
Yeah it was pretty ******, they told me if it kept smelling like it to bring it back, the drive to Bozard is 45 minutes, so instead I bought one of the 6.99 Mothers A/C Cleanser bombs you light off in the cabin and leave for 15 minutes. Well worth. One every 4 or so months works-- in terms of price, it would take 2 years of doing an A/C bomb EVERY MONTH to equal the cost of doing 1.5 de-odorize treatments.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoyable read for sure.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your pickup. Only thing I’ll comment is a diesel pickup is not more cost effective than a raptor. They get worse mileage. I love diesel pickups don’t get me wrong, but 13-14 mpg was the best I ever noticed on my diesels. Of course I’m running 80 most of the time but my raptor got 15.3 cruising to Dallas today at 90mph most of the way.