17 vs 19 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 SCAB with live valves and Recaros. the truck is awesome, handles great for a 5500 lb truck, rides unbelievably smooth, Recaros are very underrated and most people dont spring for them.

duracell24

Reaction score
I was in your boat a few months ago. Came soooooo close to pulling the trigger on a lightly used 17. Ending up going with a new 19.

For me, the 19 drove a little bit stiffer on the pavement but I liked it. It seemed to wallow a little less and dive less under braking and around corners. I also was a huge fan of the adaptive cruise going down to 0 vs shutting off under 10-15 mph. I drive in traffic a lot and this was something I really wanted after test driving both.

You really can't go wrong with either. Once I convinced myself I liked the Live Valve suspension a bit more and the cruise control a lot more, everything else was just gravy and there was no going back. Obviously, going new I could ensure it was broken in properly and nothing stupid was done to it.

The 19 also has the different gauges you can display up front and along with the engine monitoring. It also has the different off-road cruise control, but I can't say I've ever used it.

Good luck!

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cam phaser issue was resolved mid 2018 and an SSM was published with revised part numbers and a revised PCM calibration to correct the issue. Kuan has ZERO data to prove otherwise, all he does is run his mouth spreading rumors and looking for attention. It's getting really old. He's not a contributor to this forum, he's a detriment.

Where do you come up with this crap? The cam phaser failures are STILL happening well past that date. People getting them replaced well after that date still have the issue return. Don't make false allegations that all is fine... Ford still has not proven they have fixed the cam phaser failure. This is probably another reason this 3.5 engine is being replaced by the 3.0TT everywhere in the lineup.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It sure is a good thing they also fixed the intercooler condensate “issue” that you tried to conflate into a serious problem here.

Stu

Reaction score
I was in the same situation a few months ago and went with a 17. I bought one 17 site unseen and it was delivered with a bad turbo, and can phasers. The dealership gave me my $ back and I found another 17 I purchased. That being said, I looked at gen 1 and gen 2, but am notoriously thrifty and didn’t want to spend 10-15k more for a 19. Got mine 802a and a 3 year 36k warranty- I am very happy. The interior and tech were what pushed me towards gen 2. Gen 1 didn’t have a place for my old man large iPhone, and gen 1 didn’t have apple car play which I love. Both are great trucks and if you can get a decent warranty and save some $- 17 isn’t a bad choice imho.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would and did do the 19. Very happy with it.

You aren't losing the extra 10k in cost. Only a portion of it as a cost of owning a much newer vehicle with better tech.

For me, it came down to 19 or 20. Happy with the decision to do a 19, all things considered.

172aded402143969fe96a05ff415470e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 17706

I would and did do the 19. Very happy with it.

You aren't losing the extra 10k in cost. Only a portion of it as a cost of owning a much newer vehicle with better tech.

For me, it came down to 19 or 20. Happy with the decision to do a 19, all things considered.

172aded402143969fe96a05ff415470e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Why do you have your RTT hanging off the side like that?

In reference to the OP, I would go newer. December was a bad month for dealerships in my area. January and February are normally just as bad too. You can get 2020s at or near invoice. So there is not a major difference in buying a low mileage 17-19 model year and what the 2020s cost.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me I’d get the ‘19. I was in a similar situation when I got my ‘19 new last year. Wanted to get a used one but the upgraded ACC and live shocks were the reason I got a ‘19. Most of the big issues have been sorted from ‘17 to ‘19 which is nice. Also, you will have a longer warranty period on the ‘19 going forward Incase there are any issues.