17 Shelby Raptor Sold at Dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you supercharge a twin turbo engine unless you're doing standing mile racing and driving an 05 ford GT?

and the motor in the gt350s is a completely different ( block and heads) 5.2L flat plane crank motor. It is hand built. It is nothing like the 5.0L, aside from the fact that they both say FORD on them.
EXACTLY my point! Hence, should more power be needed, then the next option would be a 5 or 6 litre V8 engine.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what I could do with the $60,000 difference between that and what I paid for my '12?? I could make it fly past that thing.

Do you have any idea what I could build with the money that you spent on your '12?? I could make it fly past that thing.

That's not the point.

While I agree that the "value" proposition of the Shelby Raptor ("value" being defined in this case by "what you get for what you pay") sucks, that is the case with virtually every performance-oriented production vehicle. Look at anything from the GT350R to the new GT to Corvettes to Lamborghinis to... you get the idea. With any of them, you can hit the performance numbers for a fraction of the cost if you build rather than buy. However, at the end of the day, you have a home-built machine that you get the privilege of repairing yourself every time it breaks, and has shit resale/residual value to boot.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what I could build with the money that you spent on your '12?? I could make it fly past that thing.

That's not the point.

While I agree that the "value" proposition of the Shelby Raptor ("value" being defined in this case by "what you get for what you pay") sucks, that is the case with virtually every performance-oriented production vehicle. Look at anything from the GT350R to the new GT to Corvettes to Lamborghinis to... you get the idea. With any of them, you can hit the performance numbers for a fraction of the cost if you build rather than buy. However, at the end of the day, you have a home-built machine that you get the privilege of repairing yourself every time it breaks, and has shit resale/residual value to boot.

that's not true at all. a gt-r is an amazing deal for the money and so is a gt350. they are built that way at the factory and if you can get one for sticker they are a steal for the engineered performance that you get. good luck building something from a 5.0 mustang that matches the all-around performance of a gt350 for only about 15-20 grand.

on the other hand, a shelby raptor or f-150 is a complete rip-off. it is an expensive truck that is modified off-site where a bunch of crap is removed and replaced, repainted, etc. you are essentially paying for the brand new truck and then for all additional parts + work of removing and adding everything (and you don't get to keep all the original stuff they remove). not nearly as efficient as building it as a shelby from the factory and the price tag shows it. if you are going to go that route, it makes more sense to take your truck to a specialty performance shop, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

the only plus side is the warranty, not sure if it's a full 3 year/36K bumber-to-bumper though.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what I could do with the $60,000 difference between that and what I paid for my '12?? I could make it fly past that thing.

Heck... for much less, get a 2018 F150 and it will go past our Gen2's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDVi0y-9xk

Who knows the conditions, modes, etc. but didn't expect this much "get up and go" from a production '18 F150. Assuming this was a 1/4 mile run...

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's not true at all. a gt-r is an amazing deal for the money and so is a gt350. they are built that way at the factory and if you can get one for sticker they are a steal for the engineered performance that you get. good luck building something from a 5.0 mustang that matches the all-around performance of a gt350 for only about 15-20 grand.

on the other hand, a shelby raptor or f-150 is a complete rip-off. it is an expensive truck that is modified off-site where a bunch of crap is removed and replaced, repainted, etc. you are essentially paying for the brand new truck and then for all additional parts + work of removing and adding everything (and you don't get to keep all the original stuff they remove). not nearly as efficient as building it as a shelby from the factory and the price tag shows it. if you are going to go that route, it makes more sense to take your truck to a specialty performance shop, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck.

the only plus side is the warranty, not sure if it's a full 3 year/36K bumber-to-bumper though.

Really? You don't think that the performance of the GT-R or GT350 could be bettered by someone building something based on a used car? Who said anything about starting with a new 5.0L Mustang? After all, Sage has a '12 model Raptor that he'd be starting with in the original example. I think that bettering the performance of a GT350 would be absurdly easy if you started with a 1-2 year old 5.0L Mustang. A blower setup, big brakes, and some high end shocks/suspension would get you there... and leave you plenty of budget for stuff like a cage to stiffen the chassis and give you a place to attach proper 5-point harnesses.