130k+ miles. 2017. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
They provided a statement as to where the truck stands:

"We checked over the truck, there are codes in the PCM for cylinder 6 misfire. We swapped coils to see if the misfire moved the misfire was still present. Performed a compression test and found that cylinder 6 has low compression. We could tear apart the engine and its going to need a cylinder head but with the mileage, we recommend replacing the long block (with cylinder heads)."

If anyone can help at this point again it would be greatly appreciated.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the 130k club brother LOL.

I just did my entire coolant system to be safe, after a radiator leak. Now its onto all fluids and filters, and I mean all.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They provided a statement as to where the truck stands:

"We checked over the truck, there are codes in the PCM for cylinder 6 misfire. We swapped coils to see if the misfire moved the misfire was still present. Performed a compression test and found that cylinder 6 has low compression. We could tear apart the engine and its going to need a cylinder head but with the mileage, we recommend replacing the long block (with cylinder heads)."

If anyone can help at this point again it would be greatly appreciated.
So they initially stated it needed a long block before diagnosis, and now they’ve diagnosed it as a cylinder 6 misfire and it still needs a long block? How convenient for them.

The question is why is cylinder 6 low on compression all of a sudden? Any chance that debris was infested from the recent repair that requires removal of the intake manifold and valve covers? It just isn’t adding up that this all occurred within a week of the previous repair. Not to mention that a cylinder 6 misfire will not cause the engine to stall, so that only adds to the suspicion that they’re covering up a workmanship issue.

At this point I’d recommended telling them that it’s their responsibility to prove to you that it’s not a workmanship issue. Meaning they need to tear down the engine and show you what occurred wasn’t related to the prior repair. You may want to consider paying an experienced engine tech to accompany you to the dealer for inspection.

Also, list price on the long block is $5304. Labor book time is 9.5 hours. So they’re ripping you off with their repair quote as well. Even if they quoted Customer pay time at 1.5x warranty rate and their door rate is $175/hr, that’s still only $2600 in labor. Where’s the other $3000 coming from?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I figured with a few more details from them you guys would help.

With that said i received the history of the codes all the way back to January. See pics below. January 9th, Cylinder 3 misfire detected. IN ADDITION, February 8th was the next time cylinder misfire came up and it was for Cylinder 6. Then I have Cylinder 6 misfire come up again on March 3rd.

I have all the codes thrown back to 90 days.

Let me know what you think I appreciate the help.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RTV is the bain of many peoples existence, had a friend lock up a motor just under 100k that was taken care of by his ESP. Most Likely cause, the oil pan work he had done a while back because they found RTV in the oil intake as cause of failure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oil pump DTC and cam position DTCs are concerning. Have you verified the oil level?

Also, it’s possible that the dealer installed the high pressure fuel pump to port injector rail backward. It has a check valve, so if it’s backward it can cause stalling and misfires. To check it, verify that the stainless steel band clamp around the black fuel line is closest to the port injection rail end and not the pump end.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the help is appreciated. Trying to sort through all this and will follow up as soon as i figure out the next steps. Seems like a visit with a technician to check on everything you all have mentioned is my first move so I am going to start with that. Doesnt surprise me one bit they are being deceitful and honestly no help at all. I will be getting to the bottom of this.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
Also, I have had the oil pan replaced twice in the history of the vehicle so that very may well be an underlying cause for an issue as well, after you mentioned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20