130k+ miles. 2017. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which reeks of a cam phaser workmanship issue.
what specifically failed?
Exactly. It’s ridiculous to believe that it went 130k miles without issue and then just “coincidentally” failed after the phaser repair. I would hold them the dealer to the fire in proving that it’s not a workmanship issue, because it’s extremely unlikely that it isn’t. I’ve seen techs apply too much RTV to the front cover which then ends up in the engine and plugs the pickup tube and/or oil passages. There is also a plug in the center of the block behind the front cover that can fall out or become dislodged during cover R&I, which causes oil pressure to bleed off.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. Trying to get the history down (dates of codes thrown, notes from oil changes,etc.) and decipher the issue as you guys have mentioned some thoughts I had. I need to request the latest diagnostic description on paper, because as of right now it was verbal communication for where we stand and how to move forward now. i met with service manager which i have no relationship with prior and he obviously is not taking any blame on their end. it has been a challenging position to prove workmanship when i was dealing with the desk the whole time and have to "trust" their word until it is too late. the only reason it was documented on the phasers was because it was completed work. I will follow up ASAP. Just trying to protect myself here and possibly save the truck on their dollar.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
Attorney is my only option at this point with the position the dealership put me in. Just trying to gather proper info and see what you guys had for advice on direction or similar experiences. Again, all help is appreciated. thanks.

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
Also wondering about the continued issues after people have replaced the long block. Seems to be a common outcome of this whole situation after reading the various threads on here. Not like I really have another option but just noticed there have been multiple situations like that.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also wondering about the continued issues after people have replaced the long block. Seems to be a common outcome of this whole situation after reading the various threads on here. Not like I really have another option but just noticed there have been multiple situations like that.
Long block is the entire engine minus external components like manifolds and turbos. Should be no reason for issues.

How is the dealer claiming no responsibility when the engine hasn’t even been torn down? That’s a huge red flag.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the dealer claiming no responsibility when the engine hasn’t even been torn down? That’s a huge red flag.
Yeah this makes them seem VERY suspicious. Is there a way to get ford corporate involved to send down an appraiser/investigator to have them make the determination of who was at fault ?

OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
It really was a red flag, was supposed to meet with the tech and he never showed. Was not going to cause a scene, needed to gather what they would provide and get 1 step ahead of them. Had expired mouse droppings and small nest clearly from before a week prior to finding ( not saying that is cause but the engine cover still had some on top just seemed untouched to me) explained it to tow driver and he helped understand a bit. See pics below, both taken following breaking down. 1 week from phaser replacements.

Attachments

• 20230302_141218.jpg
    20230302_141218.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230302_141324.jpg
    20230302_141324.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Scott9310

Scott9310

Reaction score
I am going to get a written statement of their diagnosis and quote of the work they determined it needs and take it from there. As it stands, the last "chapter" of this ordeal was over the phone so i am in a ****** up position momentarily.