12V outlet or 110V outlet in the bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not, but I was wondering if anyone has ever installed any 12V outlets (similar to this) in the bed of the truck. I’m wanting to install a couple (maybe 1 on each side of the bed) near the tailgate, but I just thought about it tonight and haven’t actually gone out to look at the truck to see if there’s actually a good spot for them.

I’d probably just run wires all the way up to the battery to power them, unless there’s a better place to tap into power back by the tailgate. I’m really only needing them to be powered when the truck is turned on, if there’s a good place to get that power back there. They’d be on a 10A fuse, so I’m thinking a separate circuit is the best option.

Anyone have any info/ideas/pictures?

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I installed a 12V outlet to run my fridge in the back. Pretty straight forward and wire can all be fished through the frame and then run up and over the rear inner fender.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you @dixonk! I was mainly unsure how to get the wires up inside the bed between the inner and outer panels. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but is there an easy way to figure out how to get them up there? Anything I need to know about it?

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you @dixonk! I was mainly unsure how to get the wires up inside the bed between the inner and outer panels. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but is there an easy way to figure out how to get them up there? Anything I need to know about it?

It’s a clear shot through the frame from the battery to the bed. Then out the frame and it is empty space between the outer body panel and inner fender at the bed. Just drill your hole and I had my son under the truck pushing the wire up to my hole I drilled. Then I zip tied it where it wouldn’t rub.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any (easy) way to add a 110v outlet in the bed that’s wired to the stock inverter?

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Is there any (easy) way to add a 110v outlet in the bed that’s wired to the stock inverter?

You could do it, I've thought about doing this mod but would probably use a 2,000W inverter.

It'll be good for 16A or else you'd be looking around 3 amps more or less depending on whether or not the truck was running.

350W @ idle & 400W running so either way it wouldn't make any sense to use the stock inverter for a 120V outstanding least.

Power, (Watts) = V, (Volts) x A, (Amps)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a small portable 2000W generator if I need that kind of power. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to to add an additional outlet or two in the bed that are powered by the stock inverter.

Ken4570

Reaction score
I ran 0 gauge wire from a 100 watt thermal switch at the battery, through the frame, popped out at the tailgate, fished it up through the tail light into the bed, dropped it into another 100 amp fuze to another fuse panel, then ran a sleeved wire under the bed rug to my builtright bedside panel I customized to fit a USB, DC outlet and voltage meter into. I run my Dometic CFX3-35 refrig/cooler on the the DC cig plug. I have all the power I need. The Dometic will run about 24 hours w/o cranking the vehicle here in the FLA heat before it throws a low voltage error. In the last photo you can see my BlueSea marine fuse blocks. There are holes in the bed that feed directly into the tail light which is what I used to feed the cable into the bed. I used a step bit to widen one of the holes, then used a rubber gasket to feed the cable through. I also run my SpitzLift off of this power source.IMG_7654.jpg
IMG_7623.jpg IMG_7630.jpg IMG_7629.jpg

Last edited: