100k maintenance....? Hey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the issue.

If someone snapped the porcelain off all 16 plugs, I'd still be able to easily change them. The only difference would be that the spark plug socket wouldn't pull it from the hole since they grab onto the top of the plug. I'd run a magnet or my grabber tool down in there and pull each one out as I went.

The real point is the OP's friends and shops are thinking about the 5.4L 3V engines when they warn him of breaking off the plugs. Somehow, all Ford V8s get lumped in with that crappy 2 piece plug design, even though it's the only Ford V8 engine that ever used that setup.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with EricM...who cares if the porcelain part breaks,as long as the threaded part comes out of head....its not like your going to put the OLD plugs back in....or God forbid,try and clean them and resell..LOL
I've been working on cars and trucks for 40+ years and never had a plug break...maybe I'm lucky....and clearly if it doesnt start to turn with the wrench,instead of going all Gorilla on it,step back and think it over....maybe some good penetrating oil...maybe warm up engine...maybe..????..but dont stand on end of your wrench and jump up and down...;)

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a few reports of broken plugs, but this is NOT a common issue with the 6.2 and doesn't even enter the conversation vs. the 5.4 two piece plug problem. There is no reason to be hesitant about a DIY plug change.