10 Speed Ford Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I'm renting a Ford Expedition this week in CHI/Madison...the 10 speed tranny on this rig shifts limousine smooth. A world of difference between the EXP and the Raptor in the shifts.

two0seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both in my driveway both 2018s I don't notice much if any difference.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They seem to have a better trans tune on the GM vehicles with the same 10 speed as well. Can't say much else about their vehicles but they're good with trans tuning lol

image98

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor and a 2019 Expedition (3.73 hd tow package). I am pleased with both transmissions in Normal mode as they are very similar. However, I prefer the Sport shift mode mapping in the Expedition. In my experience I have found that the Raptor holds gears much longer in Sport mode usually up to 5k rpm, which is a bit high in my opinion. The Expedition however shifts in the 3 to 4k ranger during sport mode and feels just as peppy. Even though the Raptor has more power, the Expedition feels much quicker.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No complaints with my 10 speed, currently @ 39K miles. I like it much better than the 6 speed in my old 2014.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor and a 2019 Expedition (3.73 hd tow package). I am pleased with both transmissions in Normal mode as they are very similar. However, I prefer the Sport shift mode mapping in the Expedition. In my experience I have found that the Raptor holds gears much longer in Sport mode usually up to 5k rpm, which is a bit high in my opinion. The Expedition however shifts in the 3 to 4k ranger during sport mode and feels just as peppy. Even though the Raptor has more power, the Expedition feels much quicker.

I actually think the sport mode gear holding is a feature, not a bug. Many don’t like it and complain about the gear holding, but... have you used M&S or Baja much? Guess what they do... The same thing. In fact, M&S holds on pretty aggressively and in some cases more so than sport mode. < Has anyone seen an OD gear in M&S ? >

There are times when I wish the truck would upshift because I’m done with the caning, but If I have to get off and back on the throttle for whatever reasons, the gear holding helps.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They seem to have a better trans tune on the GM vehicles with the same 10 speed as well. Can't say much else about their vehicles but they're good with trans tuning lol

Hopefully for GM owners that "way better tune" isn't achieved by excessive slip in the clutch packs. Can't tell you how many of those i've burned up in my GM vehicles over the years.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully for GM owners that "way better tune" isn't achieved by excessive slip in the clutch packs. Can't tell you how many of those i've burned up in my GM vehicles over the years.

As far the slip it’s quite the opposite. Feels like zero slip and isn’t so anxious to get into the next gear. Nice firm but not harsh shifts. Either way I think they’re both behind the 8 speed ZF. That would have been an awesome option for raptor.

Dhowell

Reaction score
I actually think the sport mode gear holding is a feature, not a bug. Many don’t like it and complain about the gear holding, but... have you used M&S or Baja much? Guess what they do... The same thing. In fact, M&S holds on pretty aggressively and in some cases more so than sport mode. < Has anyone seen an OD gear in M&S ? >

There are times when I wish the truck would upshift because I’m done with the caning, but If I have to get off and back on the throttle for whatever reasons, the gear holding helps.

I agree. My complaint is that when it shifts, it is jarring. As in throws your head forward. I’ve even had the tires bark a few times. I’ve taken it to the dealer and had them flash the TCM hoping that would help, but still just as harsh.