1,500 miles in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blockaderunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two questions... (2019 802a Raptor)

1 - I've read conflicting reports about people saying it makes sense to get your first oil change at around the 1K miles mark. Not sure what to believe and if the ecoboost changes anything here; should I just wait till the 'recommended' oil change mileage? Thoughts?

2 - I've been putting regular (87) in the tank but used premium (93) for the first time a few weeks back due to necessity. What are you guys filling your Raptors with? Is it bad / OK to switch between the two? (recent blog article link below detailing reg vs premium)

Every new Ford I've owned gets it at 1000 and then every 3000. Never had an engine related issue. 6 x buyer. It certainly won't hurt anything. Yes I use synthetic.

Remi

Reaction score
Lol- yeah you are reconfirming what I said. If anything those dyno numbers are optimistic. 20% parasitic loss from a huge 3 ton 4x4 truck riding on heavy ass 35”s- not too shabby. More than likely 345ish to wheels is what I’d expect. 360 to the wheels = 450 @ crank all day long.

380whp on a claimed 450bhp would be like a 15% loss- not shabby for something like a RWD, manual tranny equipped corvette w/ a short transaxle. Not possible for a raptor....unless it’s making more like 480hp @ the motor- a little over 20% drivetrain loss - more believable but still fairly optimistic as far as loss goes. I suppose the newer auto trannies w/ the extra gears are more efficient, 25% power loss from motor to rear wheel is expected for something like the Raptor.

So.....I think you’re either confused or extremely misinformed yourself.

Confused as to how a dyno & drivetrain loss works seems More like it.

The truck makes 450bhp on 87 octane

It makes 30ish more on 93

That’s pretty much exactly what your showing there- it doesn’t show that it makes less than the 450 advertised HP on 87, in fact It looks a little underrated based on 360 to the wheels.
I really hope you don't go out on the streets/Mexico bragging about crank HP or brochures HP, you'll be laughed at, but whatever makes you sleep better at night, and good job I couldn't have said it better myself

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing oil at 1000 miles is a waste and detriment to your engine. Then you should ask why. Modern engines need to break in just like motors for the past 100 years. The break in now is different from motors over the years. You need time for everything to seat. Bearings piston rings, and more need the break in oil that was applied during assembly. Engineers plan that oil will be there for a specific amount of time to help seat everything properly. Motors are tested this way and then create an expected failure rate. That's what engineers do take all the information and crunch the numbers to create the longevity of the motor. Removing it too soon is removing the expected wear or break in of the motor. If it was better for an engine I assure you they would say we get a million miles between failures by changing oil every 3 000 miles. They would tell you if it did.

Well sort of but not....more mis information. Ford does not use any special kind of break in oil. You're correct that they test and that a break in period is necessary but you are wrong about the numbers. 500-1000 with original oil(Ford uses regular syn blend at the factory) is enough to break in an engine. Ford knows this but doesn't say to change it after 500-1000 cause it's not "necessary" having said that it's also true that most of the metal in your oil will come from the break in period so changing it after 500-1000 could be beneficial for **** truck owners like myself. Ford has a 5k scheduled change depending on how you use the truck to the 10k isn't necessarily the correct interval. Ford doesn't test their motors for million mile ownership. In summary I think it's reasonable to change after 1k miles and going to full synth will give you more margin for error depending on how you drive the truck. 5k intervals is also reasonable depending on how you drive the truck and again...gives you more margin for error.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really hope you don't go out on the streets/Mexico bragging about crank HP or brochures HP, you'll be laughed at, but whatever makes you sleep better at night, and good job I couldn't have said it better myself

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Honestly don’t know what you’re getting at- the OP wanted to know about running 87 va 93 & you (incorrectly) tell him he’ll make less than the advertised 450hp running 87. This has nothing to do about racing in Mexico or the streets lol! It’s simply clarifying something for a new owner. What you said was wrong & then you go ahead & post published test results that prove you wrong & validate exactly what I and many others (and Ford) have claimed- truck makes 450hp fine on 87, but makes more power on 93- based on those dyno results adjusting for equal parasitic loss by using the 360whp on 87 octane as a baseline, then running 93 adds approximately 30 more HP @ the motor, apparently 20 to the wheels, and on stock ECU programming- significant.

OP - FWIW I’ve run 93 pretty much the entire 13.5k miles of ownership, besides the added power the truck noticeably runs better- idles & pulls more smoothly, don’t notice any knock or pinging or any stuttering during WOT pulls.

EvosRaptor

Reaction score
I have a family member who works on engineering these engines and he was adamant that I don’t need to change the oil until the indicator says so. It makes me twitch (letas did 5k with synthetic oils) but I’ve been trying that. No problems and I’m almost 22k miles on my ‘18.