1,500 miles in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Changing oil at 1000 miles is a waste and detriment to your engine. Then you should ask why. Modern engines need to break in just like motors for the past 100 years. The break in now is different from motors over the years. You need time for everything to seat. Bearings piston rings, and more need the break in oil that was applied during assembly. Engineers plan that oil will be there for a specific amount of time to help seat everything properly. Motors are tested this way and then create an expected failure rate. That's what engineers do take all the information and crunch the numbers to create the longevity of the motor. Removing it too soon is removing the expected wear or break in of the motor. If it was better for an engine I assure you they would say we get a million miles between failures by changing oil every 3 000 miles. They would tell you if it did.

tgrayson

Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Service motor oil with no issues. I change it around 8,000 miles (once per year) as it is not a daily driver. I change the oil filter every 4,000 miles and top off the oil. The oil is still clear at 8,000 miles and I could probably run it longer but once a year is fine. I recommend the OEM oil filter from Motorcraft as it prevents dry starts and provides good filtration. My Raptor is a 2014 with the 6.2L engine and has 44,000 miles on it with no problems to date and the original battery!

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing oil at 1000 miles is a waste and detriment to your engine. Then you should ask why. Modern engines need to break in just like motors for the past 100 years. The break in now is different from motors over the years. You need time for everything to seat. Bearings piston rings, and more need the break in oil that was applied during assembly. Engineers plan that oil will be there for a specific amount of time to help seat everything properly. Motors are tested this way and then create an expected failure rate. That's what engineers do take all the information and crunch the numbers to create the longevity of the motor. Removing it too soon is removing the expected wear or break in of the motor. If it was better for an engine I assure you they would say we get a million miles between failures by changing oil every 3 000 miles. They would tell you if it did.

I’ve done some searching, and I can’t find anything authoritative stating that Ford uses a different break in oil for the Raptor. If they did, I *might* agree with you that changing it early could be a bad idea. But if the oil is the same, doing an early change between 1000-2000 miles may not be necessary, but certainly won’t do any harm and might well do some good, especially if you replace the oil with a high quality full synthetic like Amsoil.

Also, my understanding is that you are definitely done lapping the rings and piston walls by 1000 miles, so I really don’t think you need to wait longer than that in order to allow the engine to properly wear in.

I’m certainly open minded on this, but I still planning on doing a 1500 mile change to Amsoil.

JP77

Reaction score
Change the oil when it makes you feel comfortable. Plenty of people will tell you their opinions but not base it on facts. Most people say to change it on an 3000 mile interval because that’s what we’ve been told by our dads and granddads. Premium synthetic oils simply last longer and perform better than oils way back when. Engine tolerances are far better now as well so less grinding of parts is happening in the break in period. My raptor came with a larger than normal oil filter from the factory...maybe that is to catch all those nasty break in shavings who knows. After your first oil change fill it with full synthetic regardless of what your dealer says. Keep an eye on the levels, monitor how you drive and change the oil at an interval that makes you feel good. 5K-7500 miles seems about right unless you are really flogging it.
As far as gas... here is an interesting article. Higher octane seems to make our engines wake up a bit. Are the extra MPGs and HP worth the cost? Who knows without doing some math. For me it’s a break even so I put the good stuff in because it makes me feel good.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...onda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Squrtcap

Reaction score
A good mechanic recommended not to change factory oil until 5,000 miles and not to use full synthetic until I reach 10000 miles.
My dealer offered first three oil changes free and they use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. I will go to Amsoil full synthetic on the fourth oil change.
Rotate tires every 5,000 miles under normal driving and more often under off road applications.
Use Motorcraft filters under warranty. Dealers are apt to deny warranty claims with aftermarket intakes and filters.
Ford Performance recommends oil catch cans on all Performance vehicles. I installed JLT and it collects oil and this will keep engine cleaner no matter what octane you use.

Remi

Reaction score
For your 1st question, unless you or someone here are the engineers for Ford who designed the engine, just follow the manual 7,500 to 10,000. But it doesn't hurt to change it as often as you like, it's your money.

And for your 2nd question, check the attached photo where they recently tested the limited which is the same engine as the Raptor, you'll be fine with both. 266a7d11b4ac846f72eab093343c2583.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
oil change opinions are like a$$holes.....everyone has one.

Book says every 10K based on driving style and oil change indicator.

I changed 1st oil at 5k miles, then every 8-9k there after. Modern cars and modern oil change the rules of the past. 3 months or 3,000 miles is just a waste of money.

Any boosted motor (turbo or supercharged) should be using premium gas. PERIOD, and of story. Yes, you CAN run 87. But you are down on power (up to 11%) and down on efficiency. So that .50¢ a gallon you save ends up as a wash because you get less MPG and less HP.

Why buy a 450hp truck, only to put cheap gas in it and realize 410hp. Makes no sense.

Right & wrong

It runs fine & makes the power advertised @ lowest octane recommenced by the factory- so 450hp @ the crank on 87 octane is what you get.

When you run 93 you’re making more like 480hp dyno proven, beaten to death, & even the last C&D or motortrend mag out recently proved this on their own showing the dyno differences on an F150 w/ the HO 3.5 running 87 vs 93

Run 93 - period. Agreed

Changing the oil? I waited till 3700 miles if it means anything to anyone on the first one. Going forward will be every 5-6k miles.

Remi

Reaction score
Right & wrong

It runs fine & makes the power advertised @ lowest octane recommenced by the factory- so 450hp @ the crank on 87 octane is what you get.

When you run 93 you’re making more like 480hp dyno proven, beaten to death, & even the last C&D or motortrend mag out recently proved this on their own showing the dyno differences on an F150 w/ the HO 3.5 running 87 vs 93

Run 93 - period. Agreed

Changing the oil? I waited till 3700 miles if it means anything to anyone on the first one. Going forward will be every 5-6k miles.
Sorry but I think you've been misinformed, I cropped out that specs to keep for myself, someone posted that article here on this forums, I'm gonna try to find it, but yeah whoever told you those numbers are just blowing smoke up you behind. c67f36ba786dfc3211cd489cd8d334e5.jpg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry but I think you've been misinformed, I cropped out that specs to keep for myself, someone posted that article here on this forums, I'm gonna try to find it, but yeah whoever told you those numbers are just blowing smoke up you behind. c67f36ba786dfc3211cd489cd8d334e5.jpg

Lol- yeah you are reconfirming what I said. If anything those dyno numbers are optimistic. 20% parasitic loss from a huge 3 ton 4x4 truck riding on heavy ass 35”s- not too shabby. More than likely 345ish to wheels is what I’d expect. 360 to the wheels = 450 @ crank all day long.

380whp on a claimed 450bhp would be like a 15% loss- not shabby for something like a RWD, manual tranny equipped corvette w/ a short transaxle. Not possible for a raptor....unless it’s making more like 480hp @ the motor- a little over 20% drivetrain loss - more believable but still fairly optimistic as far as loss goes. I suppose the newer auto trannies w/ the extra gears are more efficient, 25% power loss from motor to rear wheel is expected for something like the Raptor.

So.....I think you’re either confused or extremely misinformed yourself.

Confused as to how a dyno & drivetrain loss works seems More like it.

The truck makes 450bhp on 87 octane

It makes 30ish more on 93

That’s pretty much exactly what your showing there- it doesn’t show that it makes less than the 450 advertised HP on 87, in fact It looks a little underrated based on 360 to the wheels.