1,500 miles in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
Two questions... (2019 802a Raptor)

1 - I've read conflicting reports about people saying it makes sense to get your first oil change at around the 1K miles mark. Not sure what to believe and if the ecoboost changes anything here; should I just wait till the 'recommended' oil change mileage? Thoughts?

2 - I've been putting regular (87) in the tank but used premium (93) for the first time a few weeks back due to necessity. What are you guys filling your Raptors with? Is it bad / OK to switch between the two? (recent blog article link below detailing reg vs premium)

https://www.truecar.com/blog/premium-vs-regular-gas/

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 CT’s answer to your questions. #1. First change at 1k, fill with full synthetic, then change at 5k intervals. #2. The Rap will run well on any octane of course the higher octane gives you a bit more oh my gosh when You hit the gas. Personally I run 89 and she performs great. It’s all a preference of the operator and how he wants it’s to perform. It’s allgood no matter what you run “it’s a Rap” my friend. Enjoy your ride!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t think changing the oil at 1,000 miles is going to hurt anything, but not sure it would help either. I too am a little spooked by the factory 10,000 mile oil change interval but I’ve pushed 7500 miles between changes - it’s full synthetic and each analysis has been fine.

You can burn regular just fine in the Raptor. That said, there are several reports online indicating that you’re giving up a truck load of power burning regular, and one of them reported over half a second from 0-60.

I’ve seen some also reporting a difference in economy, I’ve noticed no difference at all in fuel economy over several long distance trips burning regular vs super unleaded.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
oil change opinions are like a$$holes.....everyone has one.

Book says every 10K based on driving style and oil change indicator.

I changed 1st oil at 5k miles, then every 8-9k there after. Modern cars and modern oil change the rules of the past. 3 months or 3,000 miles is just a waste of money.

Any boosted motor (turbo or supercharged) should be using premium gas. PERIOD, and of story. Yes, you CAN run 87. But you are down on power (up to 11%) and down on efficiency. So that .50¢ a gallon you save ends up as a wash because you get less MPG and less HP.

Why buy a 450hp truck, only to put cheap gas in it and realize 410hp. Makes no sense.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said. Yet, I’m going to change the oil at 1500 and replace it with Amsoil Signature full synthetic and filter. Just because it makes me feel better. After that, I will not change again until 10,000.

I run 91 (highest us poor Kalifoniastan chumps can get) because I want as much power as I can get and I’m throwing a JDM Stage 1 tune on it.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of people on various F150 forums doing 5k mike oil changes due to fuel dilution concerns, especially on the turbo motors.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not necessary to change the oil @1k. But keep an eye on the oil level to make sure your not burning/losing oil. I change mine @5k.

Higher octane gas 91-94 will prevent knock in a boosted engine.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always run 91 octane.
I theory 87 octane should get better mileage as it has more BTU per gal than the higher octanes, but it really depends on the ECU and driver.

Edge-st

Reaction score
I always have run 93 in my 17. First oil change around 4500. Between 6K and 7k change oil... But since mine is at the dealer with P0022 code won't have to change for awhile.... But I guess shit happens.... 26K miles currently...so I guess I will have to drive my 19 GT350 until I get the Raptor back from the dealer....