“Gunshot” type sound in 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know what I would check, is the nut for the cv axle, pull the dust cover off of the front hubs and make sure the nut is on tight, believe these require loctite, but @B E N would know more than me. That video is awful at my end, so no real help. That sound could be the iwes, front diff mounting bolts, etc. Get under there with a good torque wrench and make sure everything is to factory specs, front diff mounting bolts, shock bolts, etc.
I thought this was a nylon lock nut... I was just in there weekend before last and I do not for the life of me remember. Rebuilding the front right side suspension this weekend, ill verify.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought this was a nylon lock nut... I was just in there weekend before last and I do not for the life of me remember. Rebuilding the front right side suspension this weekend, ill verify.
It is not - I've had to mess with it too many times. A touch of loctite is always a good idea on this bastard. It likes to come loose and shouldn't be torqued down hard - something like ~35 pounds if I recall. Don't quote me, but it's not a lot.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The axle to IWE installation procedure and tightening torque is critical. Below is an excerpt from the procedure:

NOTICE: When installing the halfshafts measure the depth of the CV shaft threaded end to the inner bearing race. The minimum depth is 15.5 mm (0.61 in). If the depth is less than 15.5 mm (0.61 in) rotate the CV shaft to clear a binding condition between the IWE and CV splines. Installing the axle nut and tightening without the proper depth of protrusion will result in damage to the IWE .

The IWE must also be installed in the compressed position; otherwise it can be damaged.

OP
OP
bobbybee

bobbybee

Reaction score
Hay all, Thanks for all the advice, I will be going back to the garage where I had the work done. With something in my back pocket other than my phone thanks to you lot. Ive re-done the video @CoronaRaptor @MTF
Video timeline
0.25 sec - IWE rattles.
0.26 sec - CV shakes by the upper boot.
0.27 sec - CV "ping" noise, truck shakes.
0.39 sec - slo-mo of the CV shaking.
0.40 sec - slo-mo of the ping and truck shaking.
@nathaniel selman I checked the vaccuum as per the FordTechMakuloco video, all appears to be good.
Interestingly enough, I did hear the IWE rattle when I was going round a circle. So I popped the gopro under the truck. Clear for all and sundry to see, the damn CV is spinning!
@Dane I did read a torque spec somewhere, that said 40NM which is about 30 pounds ft.

@FordTechOne - That scares me... hope my garage followed that procedure?

Still don't regret buying the raptor over the land cruiser I was going to buy. Thank goodness for moments of clarity.

Cheers

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope you had an alignment done after the lca bushings were done, because the bolts are not in the factory position. Also @FordTechOne is probably onto something with the axle nut and the iwe, they could be damaged if that wasn't installed back in there properly. I don't think the axle is suppose to spin when in 2H. Have your shop recheck both sides. Hope it goes well with them. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
bobbybee

bobbybee

Reaction score
I hope you had an alignment done after the lca bushings were done, because the bolts are not in the factory position. Also @FordTechOne is probably onto something with the axle nut and the iwe, they could be damaged if that wasn't installed back in there properly. I don't think the axle is suppose to spin when in 2H. Have your shop recheck both sides. Hope it goes well with them. Keep us posted.
Yes, alignment was done. From what I’ve been reading the axle should not spin in 2H. Possibly losing vacuum? I’m stumped. Will keep you guys updated.

cheers

Reaction score
Yes, alignment was done. From what I’ve been reading the axle should not spin in 2H. Possibly losing vacuum? I’m stumped. Will keep you guys updated.

cheers
Exactly. It should not be in 2wd, that means there is no vacuum to that wheel end OR IWE damaged. Good luck and hopefully your shop squares you away!

OP
OP
bobbybee

bobbybee

Reaction score
Sorry dudes for the late reply! I've been ill for a while, then life got in the way of getting my toy fixed and its summer here, no real desire to dune bash in this heat.

The dealer replaced the following:

Right side hub
Vacuum lines, solenoid and check valves (passed the vacuum test - decided to replace them due to their age and the heat here).
Both IWE's

The truck performed perfectly for 2 weeks, now back to the initial issue... grrr

Going to get it looked at next week.