GEN 1 ¿Deavers/Icons/Frankenstein Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Firstly, I scoured as much forum debated springs and shock options I could find and read as much subjective opinions for a multitude of conditions and requirements, yet no real discussion on customizing stock springs? Prove me wrong?

Lets get into the novel idea right now...so unlike the western guys and due to my remote northern location I am limited to the well established aftermarket specialty shops for Raptors. But I do have a leaf spring mfc that has been around and building springs for as long or longer than Deavers for over 125 years and even have a custom side with full time blacksmiths! They are however still 100 miles away (not a big deal for me really, I have driven from NE to SE and out West multiple times in all kinds of loaded, load outs and towing configurations). However, they have not actually worked on Raptors specifically so they want to see my truck and stock config in person after my ideas were discussed and ball park cost of about $700 per leaf packs.

My question/idea is to take the stocker and build them up by adding the appropriate additional leafs and military wrap. I know that for example, Deavers has from 9 to 12 leafs and are thinner than stock ones, so that will also be considered. In addition, my “local” company also re-arch old springs as part of their normal basic services.

So please chime in as this “idea”can not be a unique one or proposed before?… or prove me wrong or Am I overthinking this, has anyone done a custom leaf pack using the stock ones as a donor?

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats a tough call, since it is half the money... Deaver has already done the R&D, they know what is going on with the truck. It might be this company is really good and can get it right the first time, and you end up with something sweet, maybe not and you have to have a second set made, or you buy deavers the second time around. Maybe you never run it hard and won't know the difference, I am not sure how you use the truck.

Leaf springs seem simple, length of flat stock bent to an arch and stacked together, they are quite complex.

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
Thats a tough call, since it is half the money... Deaver has already done the R&D, they know what is going on with the truck. It might be this company is really good and can get it right the first time, and you end up with something sweet, maybe not and you have to have a second set made, or you buy deavers the second time around. Maybe you never run it hard and won't know the difference, I am not sure how you use the truck.

Leaf springs seem simple, length of flat stock bent to an arch and stacked together, they are quite complex.

Actually, after I posted my questions/idea, I called Deavers and luckily was able to speak to them (PS. Told they are building more springs then ever thanks to CoVid). And got a learning class time with them. Which was great that they took the time, especially since they are so busy.

So as it turned out, they actually have done what I ask at times and not that novel an idea. However, their guess for the Raptor designed intended purposes, off-road and on-road/pavement driving, the use of the Frankenstein version will be stiffer than theirs with the thinner and more leaves design for the on the on-road driving. They also further suggested that if I went with my custom build up version, that while theirs has the military wrap top leaf, rarely do these trucks break at the eyes and I could skip adding it.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty stand up for a company to give you free info, knowing you were looking to buy from someone else.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MEIRONMAN207 Funny that you brought this idea up, as I did exactly what you are suggesting before getting Deavers.
Here is my take on the subject..

I was chasing wheel hop on my 14 Roush when I first got the truck. I use it offroad, so did not want to mess with a traction bar that limits the movement of the springs arc. There has been a ton of debate on this, but the fact is..it does.

I took my truck to my local spring shop, explained what I was planning to do, and had them pull the stock leaf pack apart. They added a new full length second spring that extends to within an inch and a half of the front eyelet. The new spring was slightly smaller thickness than original second spring, as I was not looking for stiffness.
I reused the top leaf (re-arched) and the original second spring (now the new 3rd spring) and removed the stock 3rd spring and had the pack put back together. All said and done I was $600 in.

This new pack added an inch of ride height, and was slightly stiffer. It did pretty much eliminate the wheel hop that I was chasing but at the expense of a stiffer ride. I ran this setup for about 15,000 miles. It was ok, but I was moving into a more offroad based truck and the Frankenstein leafs could not keep up with my front end and the new 3.0 shocks.

I moved into Deaver +3's and the difference was night and day!!!
The small bump compliance is amazing, the extra droop and big bump ability is way better and I wish I had of just spent the extra money up front.

My suggestion is just order the Deavers

Hope this helps

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

Reaction score
@MEIRONMAN207 Funny that you brought this idea up, as I did exactly what you are suggesting before getting Deavers.
Here is my take on the subject..

I was chasing wheel hop on my 14 Roush when I first got the truck. I use it offroad, so did not want to mess with a traction bar that limits the movement of the springs arc. There has been a ton of debate on this, but the fact is..it does.

I took my truck to my local spring shop, explained what I was planning to do, and had them pull the stock leaf pack apart. They added a new full length second spring that extends to within an inch and a half of the front eyelet. The new spring was slightly smaller thickness than original second spring, as I was not looking for stiffness.
I reused the top leaf (re-arched) and the original second spring (now the new 3rd spring) and removed the stock 3rd spring and had the pack put back together. All said and done I was $600 in.

This new pack added an inch of ride height, and was slightly stiffer. It did pretty much eliminate the wheel hop that I was chasing but at the expense of a stiffer ride. I ran this setup for about 15,000 miles. It was ok, but I was moving into a more offroad based truck and the Frankenstein leafs could not keep up with my front end and the new 3.0 shocks.

I moved into Deaver +3's and the difference was night and day!!!
The small bump compliance is amazing, the extra droop and big bump ability is way better and I wish I had of just spent the extra money up front.

My suggestion is just order the Deavers

Hope this helps
Yes I really appreciate the experience shared...after I mulled it over and let my part of the engineer solving side of my brain I was 75 to 80 percent headed towards your solution. Thanks to your input I filled in the extra 10 to 20% towards the course where my suspension is going.

PS; I am surprised however, that my post got so little input, seeing that there was so much more debate on brand subjective opinions ...

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya, sometimes this forum is way heavier focused on buying brands and paying a shop to do the work versus working on something and trying it for themselves..lol