20“ M&R LED Light Bar Install – Mounted behind the Grill below FORD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
20“ M&R LED Light Bar Install – Mounted behind the Grill below the FORD
Basically, I have to give Birdman/Andy the credit for giving/helping on this install. The only diffences is that I chose to go below the FORD emblem behind the grill. Also like to thank Wiz for his video on the upfitter wiring and especially his soldering hints. That’s right I’m a member of both forums and I give credit where credit is due.
Items needed:
3’ of 1/8” x 1 1/2” Aluminum – Side Bars(or Steel can be used)
3’ of 1/8” x 2” Aluminum – Bottom Bracket
Bottom Angle support piece - was not used, but is recommended if you are NOT going to have the 90 degree welded
10 Machine Bolts – 1 ½” x ¼”
10 Machine Nuts – ¼”
20 Flat washers – ¼”
10 Lock washers – ¼”
16 gage Red & Black wire (Walmart $4.78 each 30’ of wiring)
1 – 6’ of conduit plus shrink wrap (whatever you call it)
1 can of Rust O Leum Bed Liner Coating
& of course a 20” M&R LED Lightbar. BTW – it’s a quality product and very reasonably priced

Basically, the dimension are documented in the below file. The issue I had is when I went to bend the 14 ½” side posts the temper aluminum piece broke right a part, but I have a Brother who works at certain place and they have the capability of welding aluminum and that is why I didn’t have to use the bottom angle piece for support as Birdman did. The holes in the 9 ½” piece that bolt into the existing holes in the back of the grill, which are 5 3/8” center to center, but just place the 9 ½” x 1 ½” side piece of the aluminum up where you going to mount it and mark it with a sharpie and then drill the holes.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

I believe these dimensions will also allow you to mount the LED bar on top as well. Probably should make it 9” long instead of 9 ½”. Measure it twice to be sure.

071.jpg

Recommend you mount the custom bar before mounting the light in place. Even though the led light bar is tough, remember it does add weight to the hood, so be gentle when you close the hood after you have it mounted.

006-1.jpg
005-1.jpg
001-1.jpg

I used upfitter 4 since you only need a 10 amp fuse to run this light. So when you connect the wiring under the right hand side of the glove box you will need to solder/twist tie the thin “brown” (upfitter 4 wire) to thick blue wire that you will be connecting your red wire from the light to. Note that black ground wire is grounded to the existing ground wire attached under the hood. (I recommend you watch Wiz’s video on connecting the upfitter wires; it will save you a lot of headaches). I soldered all my connections, which I believe will pay off in the long run.
082.jpg
083.jpg

This light is far brighter than I thought it would be. It does an awesome job, even from behind the grill. If you have any questions about this mod, just PM me.

012-1.jpg
089-1.jpg

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Nice work! I just realized I didn't even send you the measurements for my drawing. I used the aluminum angle for the overall rigidity of the main mounting plate because most of the flex would be forced in to the light bar mounting brackets themselves which I don't think are strong enough for that.

OP
OP
Blind1

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't believe it would be rigid enough to support it either, but once I mocked it up nothing flexed at all. I have on almost 2 weeks now, and it seems to be holding up great. Of course I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nice job and looks nice and clean. Do you have any night pics?
I'm still debating the price of these lights and the amount that is lost behind the grill.
THANKS!

OP
OP
Blind1

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blind1

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are some night time pictures. The quality of the pictures are not that good but should give you idea of the light output.
Low Beam:
008.jpg
High Beam
009.jpg
20" Light bar Only:
010.jpg
High Beam & Light Bar:
011.jpg
Low Beam Only:
012.jpg
LED Only:
014.jpg