Moisture and Corrosion in camera wiring harness.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assassin

Reaction score
Here's the story of my hellashish experience that I've gone through for the past 5 months.
Back in October I noticed that my reverse camera started to get fuzzy, I just dealt with it for a while until the first part of November when the camera actually completely stopped working. I took it into the dealership and they checked it out and the tech told me when he unplugged the camera water actually poured out of the harness. Apparently FORD didn't seal it right from the factory and over time water and moisture corroded the wiring harness.
So he asked me if I ever had problems out of my front camera as well and I told him that I was never successful at getting it to work but that I'd never had to really use it much so never put a whole lot of thought into it. He told me the wires possibly got corroded deep into the system and effected it as well because he too wasn't able to get it to come on. He said that he temporarily fixed the reverse camera but I would need to come back and leave it with them for a week or so to fix the other issues. I told him it would be first part of January until I was able to leave it.
So life goes on. A trip to Dallas, and several weeks later I wake up to go to work and my truck won't start....battery is dead. I jump it off not really knowing what it could be. A couple days later, the same thing happens. I take it in to the dealership and spend my whole day off work sitting there, waiting....
At around 5pm that day they take me back in the shop to discuss the problem.
The tech says he couldn't find where the draw was coming from, but that it had a 5amp draw when the truck was off. He said my electric exhaust cutout switch could've gone bad and might be drawing those amps and told me to disconnect it and see what happens. He replaced the battery and I was on my way.
4 days later I try to leave for work and the same thing....battery...dead. At this point the Holidays were only a week away so I just had to wait until the first week of January to take my truck back. About 3 weeks of driving a truck that wasn't guaranteed to start after sitting for several hours and having to jump a 60k truck got very tiresome, frustrating and embarrassing lol.

So, January 5th I drop it off and get a loaner truck from the dealership. My truck is there for a month without any progress. The battery draw apparently was a very hard problem to pin point. At first they blamed my programmer, I told them BS and said it wasn't even hooked up. Then they said my LED lights were the possible draw but I told them that was BS also and that it had to be related to the camera harness. Come to find out, I was right. The wires that were corroded effected the PCM and BCM. They replaced both of the modules, reprogrammed my truck, and that was problem number one - Solved.

With that fixed now they were onto the camera issue which was a hell of a problem for the techs. It took them 2 months to fix this problem, and they had to have a special FORD tech come in and try to fix it because the dealership techs got stumped.
My truck was in the shop from January 5th - April 1st.

3 truck payments and 3 loaner trucks later, I finally get it back. Crain Ford in Little Rock treated me very well through this ridiculous situation. It's been a LONG 3 months. Looking at pictures on here and Facebook groups of people having fun in the snow with their Raptors was torture, I'm just glad he's back.
All in all I didn't have to pay a dime for any of the repairs, but the truck payments I made are a work in progress with FORD....

I will attach pictures of my receipt that shows the technical details of what was done at the shop.

Attachments

• 0401151654a.jpg
    0401151654a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 211
  • 0401151655.jpg
    0401151655.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 180
  • 0401151655a.jpg
    0401151655a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 167

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, that's a long time without a truck! Glad its fixed and you have a lot of new parts now too!! I think I'm going to unplug my rear camera harness and install some dielectric grease in there to keep out the corrosion. Thanks for sharing your experience.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...I finally get it back. Crain Ford in Little Rock treated me very well through this ridiculous situation...

Thanks for sharing your story, Assassin; I'm glad to hear that your truck is back at home with you! If you'd like me to give Crain Ford some virtual props for the work they did, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any feedback about your experience that you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

mike.s

Reaction score
3 months to fix those issues is absolutely ridiculous.

OP
OP
Assassin

Assassin

Reaction score
I failed to get on here and update my progress with what Ford did for me after this problem was solved. Ford gave me a 75k/7 yr premium warranty for my trouble. I've been very happy and satisfied with Ford and how they've helped me through this.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks for posting the results btw, might help other owners down the road.

I suppose the additional warranty was nice compensation for having to go without your truck for as long as you did (still a long time to trace wiring, all things to considered, but at least they properly identified/corrected the problem).

I skimmed the work repair orders and agree that they wasted time having to doublecheck your aftermarket lighting (although I'm sure the dealer/techs have run into customers who have no business tinkering with electrical stuff LOL).

It looked like they were tossing parts at the problem by replacing the PCM and the BCM before they found the corroded wiring/harness (saw the front camera was replaced as well).

Eventually it looked like the culprits were C405 and C4000 within the wiring system; was the rear of your truck ever fully submerged in water by chance ?

Wonder if anybody else has recently found corrision within those above circuits as well...