First Detail - Adamized the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, @Geo_Tactical brought his very impressive Raptor over so we could work on getting his matte vinyl cleaned up and protected.

Started with a full wash using the pressure washer and foam cannon, then dried with the Master Blaster.

20160521_120615.jpg

After pulling it into the garage, we wiped down all the vinyl with Waterless Wash to clean off any remaining gunk, and to see what else was left behind. The wipe showed some additional bug guts and vertical streaks from some trim dressing.

To get all that cleaned out, we hand polished the vinyl with Revive Polish and Blue Hex Grip Applicators, then wiped off the residue with Waterless Wash.

To give the vinyl some protection, we applied H2O Guard & Gloss using the "Dry Application Method". In this method, the product is sprayed onto a wet towel, then wiped evenly onto the vinyl. Since matte vinyl is porous, just spraying the product directly onto the vinyl can lead to an uneven application that looks blotchy or streaky.

At the same time, we applied the H2O Guard & Gloss to the rest of the truck: paint, plastic and rubber trim, and glass. We then switched to some lower grade plush towels to apply to the wheels and to the Line-X on the flares, running boards, and light tower.

Since the matte vinyl is a little tricky with this product, there were still some streaks from the wiping. To address these, we went back over all the vinyl with a slightly damp portion of a clean towel, then wiped with a dry portion of the clean towel. Any more stubborn streaks were evened out with a damp towel that had just a few sprays of H2O Guard & Gloss. The small amount of product kind of reactivates the sealant to even it out.

20160521_153557c.jpg

20160521_153657c.jpg

20160521_153631.jpg

And yes, these new fenders and 37s look killer!

20160521_165541.jpg

EDIT: Added the following tips:

A neutral pH shampoo like Adam's Car Wash Shampoo is very important, since this is the product that will be used often to clean the vinyl.

Never wash, clean or apply products to vinyl when it is hot to the touch. Allow the vinyl to cool down and work in the shade or a garage.

Do not use abrasive polishes, clay bar, or machine polish vinyl.

When hand polishing with Revive, be careful along the edges to prevent build-up. Apply the product along the edges, not back-and-forth across the edges.

When trying to clean off visible stains or residue that are not removed by washing, start with the least aggressive method first: Waterless Wash wipe-down after a wash, Revive Hand Polish, or Brilliant Glaze. While the most stubborn stains might required diluted All Purpose Cleaner or diluted isopropyl alcohol, these two products should only be used as a last resort, since they can both cause damage if not done properly.

it takes some work and technique to apply the H2O Guard & Gloss. Another easier option for protection is VRT Dressing, but since it is water-based, it will only last a few washes or rains, while the H2O Guard & Gloss will provide about two months of protection.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@TheWolf, thanks for the wire up on the black matte. Probably warrants its own thread. As you can see, it's not as easy as running a wash pad over it. It takes some care and thought into your cleaning routine. The purpose of the black matte is NOT to be shiny, how ever you want it dark and full of depth. I've used the detail spray on mine and it looks good afterwards. I haven't used the H2O gg yet, sounds like that was a chore.

I suggest that you also add to your write up the importance of choosing products that have a neutral ph balance. Harsh cleaners will damage the wrap. I had a dealer clean mine, and it left the wrap in bad shape. I didn't realize it at the time, and they certainly didn't do it on purpose.

874605940a5fbf82da342e5024020ebe.jpg

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

Last edited: