First Detail - Adamized the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my biggest concern is time what if I don't have time to finish? any part of a complete detail. now with a garage could a guy come back latter to finish? if so how long and what process. Also all by hand most times I barely get a wash done before something comes up.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
my biggest concern is time what if I don't have time to finish? any part of a complete detail. now with a garage could a guy come back latter to finish? if so how long and what process. Also all by hand most times I barely get a wash done before something comes up.

There are a few options. I typically will split a major detail into two days, with the cleaning and polishing on the first day, and then the sealing and wax on the second day.

With a garage, the truck should stay clean, just keep the doors closed and the kids and pets out.

Another option some people will use is to do the whole process (wash, clay, wash, polish, seal) one or two panels at a time, split over a few days or even a week. This will add to the overall time spent if you are driving in between detailing sessions, as you will have more washes. If you are not driving it and it stays in the garage, then you can just do a quick wipe-down of the panel with Waterless Wash to remove any dust prior to working on that panel.

-Dan

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a few options. I typically will split a major detail into two days, with the cleaning and polishing on the first day, and then the sealing and wax on the second day.

With a garage, the truck should stay clean, just keep the doors closed and the kids and pets out.

Another option some people will use is to do the whole process (wash, clay, wash, polish, seal) one or two panels at a time, split over a few days or even a week. This will add to the overall time spent if you are driving in between detailing sessions, as you will have more washes. If you are not driving it and it stays in the garage, then you can just do a quick wipe-down of the panel with Waterless Wash to remove any dust prior to working on that panel.

-Dan

I'm SO glad I'm not the only psycho that take two whole days to clean a vehicle lol. I'm doing my end of the season detail on the Shelby this weekend and that sometimes extends to a third day so I took the day off tomorrow to make sure I'm covered. Does that make me a lunatic?lol.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm SO glad I'm not the only psycho that take two whole days to clean a vehicle lol. I'm doing my end of the season detail on the Shelby this weekend and that sometimes extends to a third day so I took the day off tomorrow to make sure I'm covered. Does that make me a lunatic?lol.

That is totally normal, no lunacy at all.

Make sure you post pics of that Shelby when you're done.

I just thought this whole time I was relay slow lol...

It really is more enjoyable to take enough time and to not have to rush.

-Dan

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just go all day. I start about 8 or 9 in the morning and go until I'm done, usually around 5 or 6. I'll take about an hour long break for lunch.

Then, if needed, final touch-ups the next day.

How the heck you are able to squeeze all in one day? Man i was arm wrestling like two 11-13 hour days and still not was able make tailgate. Do you do paint correction or just cleaning, claying, sealing and wax?
I have to say that i would have been little bit faster if i just used more cutting pad but i wanted to take easy with this truck for first time. Thanks

-Jan

Have add that this was my third time when i was doing 3 step polishing, so thats one reason why it **** so long. Im not an expert on this ;)

Last edited:

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How the heck you are able to squeeze all in one day? Man i was arm wrestling like two 11-13 hour days and still not was able make tailgate. Do you do paint correction or just cleaning, claying, sealing and wax?
I have to say that i would have been little bit faster if i just used more cutting pad but i wanted to take easy with this truck for first time. Thanks

-Jan

Have add that this was my third time when i was doing 3 step polishing, so thats one reason why it **** so long. Im not an expert on this ;)

Those are some long days. What machine are you using for polishing? What polishes are you using that would require a 3-step polishing process? That's a lot of work.

Some customers who polish their daily drivers to remove light swirls and scratches and who are not going for perfection, will one-step the polishing with just Paint Correcting Polish and the Orange Foam Pad. Since this polish has diminishing abrasives, the particles break down against the paint when used, so you can get a real decent finish on just this one product alone. You won't quite get the super-shine you will see with doing the second step using Paint Finishing Polish and a White Foam Pad, but it can still look very good. Not everyone with a DD truck is going to spend the time to get a show-shine.

In order to one-step polish you will need to pay attention to the proper technique to get the best results. Since the polishing abrasives break down during use, you will need to do one panel or area at a time, and polish until the product flashes (looks clear, like Vaseline). This means the polishing abrasives are spent. Then, wipe the residue and make sure you have the results you want, before moving to the next panel.

If you have to polish the panel again, do it until the product flashes. Do not polish a panel to flash, then add some more product for a bit more polishing, then move to the next panel. You have to work each panel or area until it flashes, then move on. How many panels you do at one time or how big an area you work depends on what condition they are in. Major swirls and scratches, work a smaller area. Minor swirls and no scratches, work a bigger area. Since you have to work each area to flash, you don't want to focus on a 2ft x 2ft area if there are only minor swirls, as it will take much longer to do the whole truck. Your area can also change across the truck, smaller areas on the hood and doors that get more damage and are seen more, then larger areas on the roof.

Fresh product will have the biggest abrasive particles, so it will leave some micro-marring which affects the shine. It is the smaller abrasive particles that have broken down that give a finer polish and more shine.

For an analogy, it is like sanding wood with a magic sandpaper that starts out at 60 grit, and as you use it, it changes to 100 grit, and then ends up 220 grit. No need to change to different grits of sandpaper for that piece of wood, since the magic sandpaper changes as you use it, but if you grab a new sheet of sandpaper, you go back to 60 grit and scratch up the wood you just sanded with 220 grit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Dan