2nd usb sync plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krahe3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this, got the USB chord from staples, and ordered an adapter online. Moved to glovebox. I removed the factory USB from port one filed it down and installed it into port two. then ran my new cable from port one to the glovebox. I don't understand why Ford mounted the USB port externally. Wy wife's SHO has it already in the center console.

Easy mod

Kraka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am looking at this thing and not seeing it. Maybe I am just blind. Anyone have a pic of location?

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I think they are referring that you can install a 2nd USB cable if you would like. Under the center speaker with the panel removed your APIM module will be exposed. When you look are the module it will have a connector with some wires plugged into it then will have to plug ins for USB port. The type you would use to plug in your printer. You can then plug in a 2nd USB port and run the cable where you would like it to go. I think that is what they are talking about.

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that have taken your dash apart already, how is the line-in connected to the sync panel port on the dash? Also how is it run to the Nav unit? What I would like to do is move it into the center console. I am already going to run the USB2 to there but sadly sync will not play audiobooks this way and need to still use the line-in.

1Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an old usb cord from a Sony digital camera, it already had the mini USB on one side and the standard USB on the other. All I needed to order was the female to female USB adapter. I don't think it's long enough to go to the center console but I wanted to run it to the glovebox anyway to be able to lock it up. I'm using it with an IPOD now until my SSD external drive comes in. Thanks to everyone that posted links/instructions, this took about 10 minutes to complete!

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glove box was a heck of a lot easier (literally 5 minute install). I don't store anything in the glovebox other than owner's manual and music drive, so it winds up being a better place for me at least. I only pull the drive every month or so to update it.

Bare with me here. What connector is needed to plug into the 2nd port under the center speaker?

P3160136.jpg

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I removed the factory USB from port one filed it down and installed it into port two.

Easy mod

What's the catch? I removed the panel with no problem. I unplugged the current usb plug and plug it into number 2 spot.

Is there a plug in #2 that you cannot see? I could not get that to plug into number two.